E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

Cooling Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Location: Palm Springs, California, USA... But hopefully San Antonio, Texas in the near future.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D
Exclamation Cooling Issues

Hey everyone I'm having some cooling issues with my 83 240D. during the day city driving is no problem it was about 90 degrees today....driving with the A/C....chillin in a starbucks drive-thru and the temp needle went up just a tad. But when I drive on the freeway it almost gets to the top mark... You think it would be the other way around with so much air hitting it at 75mph but no it heats up, I'm thinking maybe it needs new coolant because the past owner did NOTHING to this car but drive it. So it probably hasn't been changed for years I can say. Anyone have a suggestions? Thanks!
Old 05-11-2008, 02:21 AM

MB
Might be time to change coolant (MB spec) so do a flush too... while you're at it, a thermostat replacement is a good preventive maintenance, and obviously check the condition of water pump and radiator (check entire rad for damaged fins, rad's plastic neck prone to cracking, and check hoses for leaks & replace if there is swelling, etc...), OR it could just be a bad temp gauge/sensor.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Almost a Member!

Location: Palm Springs, California, USA... But hopefully San Antonio, Texas in the near future.
1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D
Ok cool, you know it just might be the temp guage... I forgot to mention that it did jump around a bit when it heats up. Like if I hit bumps it goes down then up again. Just weird that it only does it on the freeway Oh well off to check the cooling system