E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

CLUTCH

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 260E, 1981 240D
CLUTCH

I HAVE A 1981 240D. I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO BLEED THE CLUTCH AND HOW TO REMOVE THE MASTER CYLINDER.

THANKS.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:33 AM

85 300D(the trusted), 97 E420(the ticketed)
Do you mean the clutch master that works the slave cyclinder on the trans? The master cyclinder is what the brake/clutch resivoir is attached to. That said the to remove the clutch master isn't too bad, its located behind the clutchpedal inside the car. Remove the lower dash panel and you should be able to see it. I'm pretty sure theres only 3 bolts. 1 to attach to the pedal 2 to attach the master to the floor and there is too lines that must also be removed 1 unthreads and the other pulls off. Installation is the reverse. The slave cyclinder on the trans has only 2 bolts and 1 threaded line and also has the bleeder to bleed clutch. To bleed the clutch after you've change everything and filled w/fluid you will need 2 people to bleed the clutch. 1 to pump the clutch and the other to open the bleeder on the slave cyclinder. If you've bled brakes it basicly the same concept. Pump and hold, open the bleeder let out the air and repete till all the air is out the system. I haven't done this job in a few years but from what I remember that should be it. Good luck
Old 02-23-2010, 08:43 PM

1987 260E, 1981 240D
I CHANGE THE MASTER AND SLAVE CYLINDER AND BLEED THE SYSTEM.
IT DID NOT WORK. MY SON TOOK (TOW) THE CAR TO AN AMMCO SHOP AND THEY POWER BLEED THE SYSTEM. THE PEDAL IS STUCK ON TOP, IS AS HARD AS THE BREAKS. THEY WANTED 1,000.00 BECAUSE THEY BELIEVED THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG IN THE CLUTCH. NO GUARANTEE.
ANY HELP.

THANKS

ERNESTO.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:58 PM

85 300D(the trusted), 97 E420(the ticketed)
I would pull the trans and see whats what. Did this just happen or was the car sitting for a long time? If it was sitting I''ve heard of clutches being frozen, sometimes you get lucky and they break free and sometimes you have to take apart and replace clutch or just free it from the flywheel. If you have the space and some tools (and are mechanical) I would pull the trans yourself its not too bad of a job. The trans is less then 50lbs and there is only a handful of bolts to remove. A good diy guy should be able to do this in a day
Old 03-01-2010, 02:18 PM

1987 260E, 1981 240D
clutch

[quote=StevieBenz;3958861]I would pull the trans and see whats what. Did this just happen or was the car sitting for a long time? If it was sitting I''ve heard of clutches being frozen, sometimes you get lucky and they break free and sometimes you have to take apart and replace clutch or just free it from the flywheel. If you have the space and some tools (and are mechanical) I would pull the trans yourself its not too bad of a job. The trans is less then 50lbs and there is only a handful of bolts to remove. A good diy guy should be able to do this in a day[/quot

The car is working great, just the clutch went off.
I am going to get familiar with this job and take it apart

Tanks.