'83 240D Leaking Oil and need new Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 Mercedes 240D
'83 240D Leaking Oil and need new Key

Hi Everyone,and Happy Holidays

My '83 240D has been leaking a little oil for the past few weeks. It started off very slowly, and now is leaking big time! It will leak both when engine is turned off, and when running. I went through 4 quarts in 24 hours! and I stopped driving the car after that happened. Hopefully, it is NOT a major deal, otherwise, I am in big trouble. Any ideas here?

To make matters worse, I just lost the only key that I had. I had tried to get one made a couple of times, but both locksmiths said they couldn't do it. I kind of forgot about it since I couldn't remember the last time I lost a key. What is the cheapest way to have one made?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 AM

w108 '67 250S,w123 '77 280ce, w123 '85 300DT, w126 '85 300SDT, W140 '94 S600, w210 '97 E230
hi greg have you solved the oil leak already?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 PM

76 Mercedes 240D, 88 Chevy S-10, 88 Chevy 1500, 92 Chevy G30, 94 Chevy Suburban, 94 Nissan Quest
Lost Key

I just bought my 76 240d in October '10. The guy I bought it from said that he lost the key for it so he called the Mercedes dealer with the VIN# and it cost him like $17 for a new key. Don't know what your local laws are but here in KY, proof of ownership is required by dealers to key keys cut from VIN #s.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 PM

83, 300D Federal
You have not given too many details on the Oil Leak.
The best way to locate what is leaking is to Clean and degrease the Engine. Run it and see where the leak is.

The Oil Cooler Hoses, the Valve Cover and the Oil Pan Gasket are the most typical Places for a leak.

For Turbocharged Engines the leak can be at the Bottom of the Turbocharger Drain.

Front and/or rear Main Seals.

I have only read of this happening to one person but the Fuel Injection Pump is lubricated bay a skinny Plastic Tubing. That one person had that Tubing Crack.

If your Crankcase Breather is restricted the Crankcase Pressure will look for a way out and has been known to cause a small Oil Leak to become larger.

Last edited by Outre; 03-07-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM

1983 300TD
Great info, Outra. I'm new here and to the diesel world. I too just noticed that I have a slight oil leak upon changin my oil and filter for the first time yesterday. I also noticed that the oil pan gasket is saturated around the rim, so obviously needs to be replaced.

So, do you recommend replacing the gasket alone, or does one need to replace the entire oil pan and gasket after removal. May be a dumb question, but just looking in the best interest.
I just purchased this car about a week ago and am sorting through all the important things that need to be taken care of.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2011, 03:02 PM

83, 300D Federal
Originally Posted by yimboda
Great info, Outra. I'm new here and to the diesel world. I too just noticed that I have a slight oil leak upon changin my oil and filter for the first time yesterday. I also noticed that the oil pan gasket is saturated around the rim, so obviously needs to be replaced.

So, do you recommend replacing the gasket alone, or does one need to replace the entire oil pan and gasket after removal. May be a dumb question, but just looking in the best interest.
I just purchased this car about a week ago and am sorting through all the important things that need to be taken care of.

Thanks!
If you believe the Oil Pan Gasket is leaking replace that. But, try to tighten it a little first.

However, it is best to clean and degrease everthing and see where the actual leaks are.
If you 83 was sold in the US it should have a Turbo. As in my other post it could be your Turbo Drain Grommet and O-rings are leaking.
I do not know if your 83 has the same Oil Seperator Drain as mine but mine drains down by the Turbo Drain and there is a little O-ring on a Nipple down there.

If it turns out the Tubo Drain is the Casue of the leak, when I did mine I found it was easier to remove part of it with the Oil Pan off. I had to tap it up and out from below. So that would also be the time ti change the Oil Pan Gasket.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:11 PM

1983 300TD
Originally Posted by Outre
If you believe the Oil Pan Gasket is leaking replace that. But, try to tighten it a little first.

However, it is best to clean and degrease everthing and see where the actual leaks are.
If you 83 was sold in the US it should have a Turbo. As in my other post it could be your Turbo Drain Grommet and O-rings are leaking.
I do not know if your 83 has the same Oil Seperator Drain as mine but mine drains down by the Turbo Drain and there is a little O-ring on a Nipple down there.

If it turns out the Tubo Drain is the Casue of the leak, when I did mine I found it was easier to remove part of it with the Oil Pan off. I had to tap it up and out from below. So that would also be the time ti change the Oil Pan Gasket.
Yeah, I was noticing that, but thanks for mentioning the ease of replacing that seal while doing the gasket. Of course I will check it first, but I appreciate the heads up.
Yes, it is a Turbo.

More o-rings... haha. I just replaced the two on the shaft in the oil filter housing. It took me awhile as I had to figure out why they were so hard and flat, almost as if they were metal. Eventually I just chipped them off. I definitely noticed a change in oil pressure though.

Thank again!