E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

230C Transmission Overheating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 230C
230C Transmission Overheating

I've been having some issues with my 230C. I usually drive it around town and it never causes me any problems, but when I take it into the city (highways followed by stop and go traffic) it starts to overheat. I turn the heat on and the engine temp stays down below 100*C... hot, but not too hot. However, after turning the engine off after it's been that hot, I have difficulty getting it back on.

The first one or two times it happened, I just rolled it in and out of gear for a few seconds and it turned right back on. Recently it has been a little more problematic. It has needed a hefty transmission massage, if you will, before it can start after it has overheated, and I started to have more trouble starting it even when I've just been driving it around town (around 80*C). This continued to progress, and now the car won't start. I've never had any issues with the transmission before, and when it's running it shifts smoothly... so I'm pretty much stumped.

I also had trouble with some dirty electrical leads into the starter and alternator a couple of months back. I cleaned them (although not too thoroughly) but I'm curious if that could be the in play as well. Looking for any advice you can throw my way. Thanks.

Brian