Newly found love

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 300D-T, 2006 Jetta TDI
Newly found love

Hello,

I just received a 1984 300D as a gift. It's a one-owner car, with all records contained in a THICK folder. I even have the import paperwork, bill of sale, and window sticker. WOW is all I can say. I can't thank the previous owner enough.

The car doesn't come without its problems, however. According the previous owner, a MB dealer, and a MB private repair shop, she needs a timing chain and 3 motor mounts. She really shakes at idle. And thus, the dilemma--do it yourself or have it done.

I haven't been lurking/searching the forums, as I've just started my adventure. I live in Minnesota, so I need to have her at least winterized before the snow flies, which should be in 2-3 weeks.

Any advice about which threads would help me reach a decision regarding do-it-yourself or take it in, I'd greatly appreciate! A list of "trusted mechanics" would be icing on the cake.

My plans? I already have two VW diesels, and am pretty much now a convert to diesel. I'm getting rid of my lovely 740IL and am embracing this "bulletproof" 300D. I want to get her back to her original glory. She does have a few rust spots, but is not rotted out underneath. Pans and truck are solid. She was a garage queen her life, but was driven in a few winters, hence the cancer spots.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to working with you guys in the years to come.

blueone7 (Scott)
Attached Thumbnails Newly found love-good-bye-benz-058.jpg   Newly found love-good-bye-benz-059.jpg