E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

300D Turbo doesn't roll while turning over in gear!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300D Turbo
300D Turbo doesn't roll while turning over in gear!?!

First off, the engine will not RUN because it needs a good working Injector Pump. Why the car will turn over while in gear I don't know yet, but should the car try to roll if it's turned over while in gear!? Or does the tranny not "kick in" until it receives a vaccum from the engine or something?? I want to know if the tranny is even going to work before I spend money on an IP and the time to put it in... Does any1 know if this is a sign that the tranny doesn't even work??

I hope someone has some good news for me...
Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Car should never turn while in gear.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 PM

300D Turbo
Oh< WOW!!

Originally Posted by C63newdude
Car should never turn while in gear.
Thanks for the very detailed answer... As in obviously there's a way that it can by unhooking something, but because the car doesn't roll, does the tranny not drive the axle because the lack of vaccuum or what homie? I guess if you want an answer you answer it yourself with trial and error. I just thought maybe someone HAD AN ANSWER and could save me a couple of hours of work in the future or to know whether I should even try anything with the car....
Old 05-03-2012, 02:08 AM

85 300D(the trusted), 97 E420(the ticketed)
The car should seem like its in neutral in all gears reverse, drive, low, second if the motor is not running. Automatic transmissions have a torque converter that is connected to the flywheel of the engine. And unless that thing is spinning so the trans fluid will engage it your car will seem like its in neutral. Also as a safety feature the motor should not turn over when the car is in gear. It should only crank if it is in park or neutral. I don't think there is a way to check if the trans is functional unless you can start the motor and drive or remove it and bring it to a trans shop and see if they can bench test it or something. How's the fluid look in the trans? Brown? Red? Smell like ****? Smell like good trans fluid? And how do you know the IP is bad? Are you sure all the glow plugs are working? Are you sure the in injectors aren't bad? Fuel filters and little things like that? I'm just asking cause I wouldn't want you to spend $ and time on something if it wasn't needed
Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 PM

300D Turbo
Right

Thanks for your replies...
That is a load off! I'm used to manual and forgot about torque converters, or something....

Changed the fuel filters.
HAVEN'T checked the plugs, or injectors..

I DID have my wife watch the fuel lines, after loosening one at a time, to see if fuel was reaching the top while cranking over but not running . It was reaching on all 5, but 2 seemed to not be as strong as the others

But, thanks for refreshing my mind on automatics.. One less thing to worry about right now
Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1985 300DT
Originally Posted by 82_300D_TURBO
Thanks for the very detailed answer.
FYI, being a sarcastic a$shole when people are trying to help will prevent others from wanting to help you in the future.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:17 PM

300D Turbo
Originally Posted by Whargoul
FYI, being a sarcastic a$shole when people are trying to help will prevent others from wanting to help you in the future.
hmmmmmm...
May 3, 2012

The car should seem like its in neutral in all gears reverse, drive, low, second if the motor is not running. Automatic transmissions have a torque converter that is connected to the flywheel of the engine. And unless that thing is spinning so the trans fluid will engage it your car will seem like its in neutral. Also as a safety feature the motor should not turn over when the car is in gear. It should only crank if it is in park or neutral. I don't think there is a way to check if the trans is functional unless you can start the motor and drive or remove it and bring it to a trans shop and see if they can bench test it or something. How's the fluid look in the trans? Brown? Red? Smell like ****? Smell like good trans fluid? And how do you know the IP is bad? Are you sure all the glow plugs are working? Are you sure the in injectors aren't bad? Fuel filters and little things like that? I'm just asking cause I wouldn't want you to spend $ and time on something if it wasn't needed

You're being the smart one..
Old 05-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Banned

1985 300DT
You're being the smart one..
Yes, my post was in relation to your smart@ss reply to C63newdude on 04-30-2012.
And now again, you've made ANOTHER smart@ss reply and made yourself look like a complete fool. Good luck getting any help from me in the future.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:42 AM

300D Turbo
Yes, my post was in relation to your smart@ss reply to C63newdude on 04-30-2012.
And now again, you've made ANOTHER smart@ss reply and made yourself look like a complete fool. Good luck getting any help from me in the future.
Help? Don't need it.. Trial and error is better than ANY kind of "information" you find on the internet.. Someone like you that thinks he needs to keep stuff like this going is a... what do they call you kind of people? Oh, yeah a troll. So, as long as it makes you feel good hey keep it up.. Have a blessed day.....
Old 05-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Banned

1985 300DT
Help? Don't need it.
Really? The whole "Der, my engine doesn't turn when I roll the car, imma run to the forums to ask for help!" shows you sure know what you're doing.

You are truly a sad little teenager. You've got nothing to back up your point so now you're down to calling people names out of frustration.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 PM

300D Turbo
STUPID JERK

Really? The whole "Der, my engine doesn't turn when I roll the car, imma run to the forums to ask for help!" shows you sure know what you're doing.

You are truly a sad little teenager. You've got nothing to back up your point so now you're down to calling people names out of frustration.
Wow, OK. Sad little teenager, nope. If you had any intellect you would know what I was saying... But, there's no help for jerks like you that just want to be the ******* in the crowd. No wonder you can't get along with anyone and no one likes you. Unless you like it that way and then I will pray for your loneliness to subside.. WHAT IS LIFE IF YOU DON'T HAVE HAPPINESS?!?!?
Trial and error, ALWAYS better than the internet. I joined this forum for opinions, not for ignorant, pointless conversations with people like you.

Got the car running by the way though, and it WAS the IP, now it's about the timing.. Doesn't have much power so next is timing....

Got a used IP pump from Ebay user name "wilcoin1812" for $100!! WHAT A DEAL! $17 for shipping too which WAS A DEAL ALSO!! If you ever need anything MB I would check this guy out first. $100 fixed my car and It would have cost me $1,500 + anywhere else (+labor, blahs, and blahs) $117!!
If you buy from this guy tell him that "alloydeluxe" sent you thank you...
Old 05-22-2012, 12:34 PM

To the OP,
If your starter engages in R or D, You'll be needing a neutral safety switch, located on the side of the transmission.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM

1983 300D-turbo "Bonnie"
Got pretty heated there for a while. Sheesh!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Banned

1982 300D
Turns out 82_300D_TURBO is just an ebay spammer.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 AM

98 E300
Originally Posted by Charun
Turns out 82_300D_TURBO is just an ebay spammer.
Whargoul, 240D 3.0T, why are you back to stir things up again? Please contribute constructively or just go away.

And Merry Christmas.