E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

Dropped nut into intake! clankclankclank!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 300D
Dropped nut into intake! clankclankclank!

Yeah, seriously.
BACKGROUND- I was replacing the fuel shutoff diaphram on my girlfriends '79 300D. Read that if I did it wrong I'd have a wide open Throttle that the "STOP" button would not kill, so I pulled the air filter cover off incase I had to choke out the engine. I did everything right, and fixed the engine not turning issue fairly easily. When putting the air filter cover back on I dropped the little 8mm(?) top hold down nut. I couldn't find it anywhere and thought "oh no, PLEASE tell me it didn't drop into the intake". To make sure it didn't I attached a magnet to a wire and fished it down each of the 5 manifold 'tubes' to search for the nut. After about half an hour of this I was confident that it was not in the intake, and was simply hidden somewhere in the greasy oily engine bay. The car started up fine, shut off fine, etc. BUT I revved the engine a couple times and suddenly CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK! "*&#$%@#$%&@!!!!!!" I shut the engine off ASAP and started pulling the intake.
Well, Intake AND exhaust manifolds are off, along with glowplugs. I've felt around inside head from intake ports and cannot feel anything on any valve. SO, i assume the little nut managed to drop INTO an open valve and is now between the head and pistons- Is this correct logic???
QUESTION: Can I just pull the injectors out and have a straight shot down to the top of the pistons? If SO, can I remove the injectors AND put them back without having to replace anything??? How do the canvas covered fuel lines come off, and can I reuse them? I know it sounds REALLY STINGY, but I just want to get this nut out, put the can back together, and see if it runs OK. Its a rusted out beater car that cost $600. Please let me know what I can do to get this thing fixed ASAP and on the cheap!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 PM

1979 300D
OK so pulling injectors will not grant me access to the pistons through the head as I had hoped. SO, does this mean the next step is to pull the head? Can anyone recommend a forum page, blog page, etc with step by step instructions on this??? I've replaced heads before, but never on a Mercedes or a diesel. PLEASE HELP. I've had over 40 views of this post and no one has ANY advice?
Old 03-23-2013, 03:08 AM
Banned

1983 300D
You will need to remove the precombustion chambers.

http://www.w124performance.com/servi...617/01-417.pdf