E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Dome lights and Fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300E
Question Dome lights and Fuel gauge

I just purchased a 1990 300E with 132000 miles on it. The car is in great shape but two things are a total mystery. First, when I open the front or rear doors the rear dome light does not come on, but it does come on with the switch on the dash. I know the door switches are working because the lights underneith the doors light up when they are opened. Any ideas??? Second, when the fuel gauge gets to half-full or lower, it then becomes erratic and fluctuates a lot or goes dead for a few seconds and then continues to fluctuate until there is no gas left. What is up with that? Thanks guys....
Old 06-10-2002, 08:32 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Kompressor
Sounds to me like some cable between the door contacts and the lamp is broken (I can't see what else could be the problem, given your problem description).

For the fuel-guage I don't know. Newer MBs have a sophisticated electric sending device (or two) located in the tank. This sender(s) has shown to be very error-prone. I myself have had two sensors replaced. Don't know if this is a problem on older MBs as well. Good luck!