E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

monoblock or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
monoblock or not?

currently i am running monoblock 17's. i was thinking of changing the paint scheme based on the sole fact that i am tired of having a car with like 6 different color combos. (chrome, polished alum, silver painted center, black chrome, RED, black grille)

the 1st shot is what it looked like b4 i did the euro headlight upgrade that i modified to take HID's. And it was also b4 i changed the grille insert from grey to black (btw its a must do for anyone with any color other then grey)

now i messed around the other weekend with different color schemes.
the first is silver center with blacked out rim.

i know its not perfect. it will be when i pay to have it done correctly and clear coated.

the 2nd is just the lip painted.

i was thinging of trying 2 more combos. 1 with the star painted back and the rim silver and 1 with the star in red that matches the body and the rim either black or silver/polished.

i was going to swap out the rims for the new amg sl rims but alas these cars use the small diameter lugs and the wheel would be loose. so my choices are to repaint what i got or maybe convert to a diff. style amg wheel.

they all have to be repainted anyhow because a year or so ago a nimrod got brake fluid and then brake cleaner on them which just ate the clear coat. this time i will powder coat them.

opinions are welcome. additionally the rims are flawless except for the paint chips and the clear missing on the lip in some parts.

**&^#$%#^$^&%*

forgot to mention i have new slotted rotors (looks like the sign for an atom) and i was thinking of powder coating the brake calipers RED.

Last edited by AMG_Eric; 03-20-2005 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:24 AM
X03

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 1990 300E
nah...i dont think a polished/painted lip looks too good....=/
im just not a fan of the whole black on black thing.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 3.2 M104
WHY, WHY, WHY PEOPLE MESSIN' WITH THOSE RIMS?
Old 03-20-2005, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

91' 300e // 99 300e TD // 00' ML55 AMG
haha yah man that's butchered
Old 03-20-2005, 03:23 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
lol...just leave the wheels how they are.

if you paint the outter part black...in my opinion it will only make the wheels look dirty like you never washed them and brake dust is stuck on there permanantly. lol

If anything, paint the wheel black and polish the lip. Updated pictures of your car may also help.

What are the current modifications on your car as of right now?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by GORBETTTEAM
WHY, WHY, WHY PEOPLE MESSIN' WITH THOSE RIMS?
because they are 2 different colors. they should of went with 1 solid color like they do with all the other AMG wheels.

Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
lol...just leave the wheels how they are.
they have driven me crazy for 7 years. i have to paint the car this summer anyhow because the clear coat is breaking down on the trunk.

if you paint the outter part black...in my opinion it will only make the wheels look dirty like you never washed them and brake dust is stuck on there permanantly. lol
actually they dont look that bad in daytime. i will post a photo later in the daytime when i get my butt outside. btw the painted outter part makes the sidewall of the tire huge and the rim looks like a hub cap from a distance.

If anything, paint the wheel black and polish the lip.
i was thinking the same thing. however what do u think about color matching the wheel and polishing the lip? that is latest trend and it look really nice on black benzs.

Updated pictures of your car may also help.
will update a photo now that the sun is out and it is not monsooning.

What are the current modifications on your car as of right now?
that should be in my sig. however if it doesnt show here are the external mods:
amg ground effects
amg springs
lowered 2 inches
500e brakes
New slotted rotors. forgot the name but the slots are in the pattern of an atom
EURO head lights fitted with mbz HID's
monoblock rims
Sumitomo HTR 2 tires
stock grey grille converted to black
headlight wiper motors removed
Old 03-20-2005, 03:54 PM

'95 3.2 M104
my advise? recondition your wheels ...it's simple if you have air compressor, paint gun and about 4-5 hours on the weekend. that should do it. or have them recondition by Wheels of America for $125 per/wheel and plus they're gonna make this beautiful polished lip like you haven't seen it in a long time.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by GORBETTTEAM
my advise? recondition your wheels ...it's simple if you have air compressor, paint gun and about 4-5 hours on the weekend. that should do it. or have them recondition by Wheels of America for $125 per/wheel and plus they're gonna make this beautiful polished lip like you haven't seen it in a long time.
ok i think u missed my point. i am having them redone professionally. 125 a wheel is way overpriced. i can have all 4 powder coated for 100 which would solve the headache of having clear coat eaten again.

my other point is I HATE my 2 tone wheels. always have always will. they will never return to silver with a polished lip. it just adds 1 more color to a car that doesnt need more colors it needs less. for a silver car a polished lip with a wheel being silver is fine. for a RED car that already has black chrome, chrome, red, black, tint on windows is far too much color. if you loved the 2 tone 124's then 2 tone is the way to go. i prefer a less colors to more.

1 idea someone has is to anodize them. like maybe the centers anodized black with a polished lip that will match the chrome grille.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
ok i took more photos today since it was a great sunny so cal day.

see the clouds in the hood?

Old 03-20-2005, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
here are some other cars with similar paint schemes i am going towards

i like the openess of this well and the fact it is all 1 color

i like the blacked out look with the polished lip on this porsche but my rim cetners are MUCH thicker

a pic of one with anodized blk or black chrome with polished lip
Old 03-21-2005, 01:22 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
My advice to you is to invest in some new wheels then if you're not satisfied with how your Monoblocks look and how they will look. Plus, everyone and their mom's have monoblocks.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
that would be an answer if these old 124's were worth the investment. lets face it a car that cost 65k new and had additional upgrades of 7k and is currently worth 10k is not worth another 2k in wheels. its worth a trade for only a few wheels that fit these cars...like ones off clks or c-classes. the bolt diameter is the biggest limiting factor.

my buddies shop in pasadena has tons of amg wheel sets laying around but they are for the bigger lugged hubs. additionally most of what he has is 8.5 to 9.5 inches wide. so the only choice really is to go new if one is going to change the style. conversly a nice painted wheel that accentuates the car can be had as low as 100 and as high as 400.

heck after driving an e400 and lighting up the tires on it makes me wonder why i keep the 6 cylinder at all; especially when u can get an e400 for 5k and it doesnt have the limiting asr that the 500e's had for so many years.

additionally after all this assessment on value i am not going to laydown 3k for a paint job. maybe 1k but why would i lay down 33% of the value of the car to just clean up clearcoat issues.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:58 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
I agree with your argument. However, it's really based on if the person/owner is willing to put down money on a old car. But really, the W124 has a lot of potential if time and money is spend wisely on the car. Personally, I think it's worth it because I think the outcome of the finish product will be well worth it.

So you must be around the LA/OC area then. Where do you reside? Anyways, about the wheels...it's really had finding some good wheels that will fit. Especially 18 x 8's. You could paint the whole wheel black. I'm thinking about it in my mind and it could possibly look nice. Red with black wheels, hell maybe you can throw in a silver lip and clear coat the face.

So is that why your cars body kit is slightly lighter than your car or is it the pictures?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
I agree with your argument. However, it's really based on if the person/owner is willing to put down money on a old car. But really, the W124 has a lot of potential if time and money is spend wisely on the car. Personally, I think it's worth it because I think the outcome of the finish product will be well worth it.

So you must be around the LA/OC area then. Where do you reside? Anyways, about the wheels...it's really had finding some good wheels that will fit. Especially 18 x 8's. You could paint the whole wheel black. I'm thinking about it in my mind and it could possibly look nice. Red with black wheels, hell maybe you can throw in a silver lip and clear coat the face.

So is that why your cars body kit is slightly lighter than your car or is it the pictures?
last ? first answer. the whole car is the same color. its the super bright sunlight and i didnt meter the car with my digital camera. i was just being quick and dirty. additionally i am going to mod the front air dam by replacing the horizontal slats that always break on the bottom middle to that expanded metal. that is my 3rd air dam and they take fricking 2 months to get from amg. pffft oh and if u look real close i curbed the dam airdam on passenger side. this car is sooo low i destroy this airdam every 2 years. parking blocks suck as well as curbs. sometimes stock is better.

hummm red with black. i might have to photoshop that and see what it looks like. do you mean the center red and the rest of the wheel black? the polished lip i think will blow the deal. keep in mind a pro will paint it not me and a spray can like these mock ups.

the more i see the more i like all black with a polished lip. and it needs to be a shiny black not a matte black. it if black chromed the center and polished the rest that could be good also.....see the porsche pic and the c class pic.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:22 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
That make sense. I didn't think the paint job/paint would look that bad on the body kit. lol I can't really tell from the pictures of the air dam you curbed and what not. haha Do you have any pictures of how you want to mod the horizontal slats thats on the bumper? I think someone in the forums did that to their AMG Gen I kit but I forgot who.

I really think red and black will look nice. I mean, you could pain the whole wheel black, have the polish/silver lip going and even paint the center cap black but leave the mercedes arrow or and the circle silver/polished. Clear coat the black part of the wheel and it'll look pretty nice.

I always like black wheels on car's especially with silver lips. yeah, I checked out that porsche from Techart. Those wheels they provide for those porsches are really nice.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
ok a few samples with red and black.

Last edited by AMG_Eric; 03-21-2005 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:26 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Red is over doing it in my honest opinion. Same color wheels only good good on certain cars and certain colors. Black for example. However, I do believe the black wheels will look nice.

Oh nice looking neighborhood too. lol