E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Valve Cover Gasket And Valve Seals

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 260 E
Valve Cover Gasket And Valve Seals

Quick question is replacing the valve cover gasket and valve seals a relativley ezy job for a DIY'er? I'm going to remove my valve cover and some other parts and send them out to get powdercoated. I thought I might as well try to replace the valve seals while I have the cover off. It's for a 88 260E

thanks,

~Cali
Old 04-21-2005, 04:29 PM

1995 E320
dont think it will be to hard replace if you know what your doing.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:37 PM

W124
CaliE320, I'm thinking of doing the same thing since my vc gasket seems pretty old and crusty. I was going to have the valve cover powdercoated two different colors (like black w/ red stripes and mb logo) but I've decided to just go w/ straight glossy black. I won't do it anytime soon unless I have a few days where I don't have to work and I can put my car aside for a little while. Or if I can pick up a valve cover for cheap at the dismantler I'll just have the powdercoating done then. Let me know how you go about your little project.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:57 PM

88 260 E
NorCal,

I wouldn't recommend getting a valve cover from a dismantler. I read on another thread somewhere most of them are warped. So it's kinda of a shot in the dark what you get until you try to mount it and the cover doesn't fit right. I plan on taking my valve cover,whole airbox, upper strut tower bar, & camber arms have them all powdercoated gun metal. It's that color between pearl black and almost pewter. Take the various plastic parts like the fuse lids etc and get them painted red. Send out the ram air duct & pipes to see if they can be fabricated in CF. I wanted to see if it's possible to change all the rubber hosing to steel braided. before anybody says anything it's just for show. While I wait for my parts to come back I wanted to see if I could tackle the valve seals, but again I'm not burning any oil or have any leaks. I can just wait to do the seals when I end up doing the dreaded head gasket.

Gloss black sounds good with red stripes. Right now I have mine painted red with blk stripes.

~Cali
Old 04-21-2005, 06:07 PM

1995 E320
How much does powdercoat cost for parts like that, i want thining black with gray parts. Know of any good place that can be trusted?
Old 04-21-2005, 06:11 PM

W124
Out of curiosity what would make the valve cover warp?? The only thing I could imagine would be a head on collision. A lot of the W124s at the dismantler near me are just broken down. Another thing that might help is to be careful how and where you get your cove sand blasted. If they sand blast the inner part of the cover it could leave sand deposits on the inside and may be transferred into your engine. So if you do have it sand blasted make sure they only touch the outer part.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:18 PM

88 260 E
Very true NorCal. Like I said I read that on a different thread awhile back when researching this project. I'll try to find that thread for ya. Powdercoating shouldn't run me more then $150 for all those parts.

E320 - There's a bunch of powdercoaters here in the Valley. About 3 to four close to my hse. The only thing I 've ever had powdercoated were 2 sets of rims & that was through TWS.
I guess I'll be the guinea pig on this one & find out which place is worth giving a plug to. If anybody knows firsthand of a good powdercoater for parts in SoCal let us know.

~Cali
Old 04-21-2005, 06:39 PM

1995 E320
Well my cousine has his own body shop in long beach, thats where my baby is going for a overhal, i guess i can ask him if they do powdercoat. Can't wait til my girl gets a freah coat on her. I am forced to get her painted due to some jerks at my office building becoming jelous and decieding to draw lines on my doors with their keys. I just wished to GOD i had cought them in the act. But saw it when i got home. Anyways CaliE320 i will talk to him either tonight or tomorrow morning and find out if you would like. I know he would take care of you either way if not with beating price, then quality.