E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

question for rhd car owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 300e
question for rhd car owners

i have a 93 300e and i noticed that the rear fog light is only on the left tail light. in looking at the right tail light i noticed that in the lense it self there is a provisin for one at the side. the cover sort of has similiar provisions just missing the spring and wiring. so my question is does the rhd 300e have the fog light on the right??? from what i have seen (and i could be wrong) rhd cars generaly have there fog light on the right. so id this true with the 124 as well?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
i wouldn't think so because its on the left side so that in the fog, people would know where your car is. this was meant for it to be in germany.. so yeah.... can i see a pic of your tail lights with your fogs on? i want to see how im comparing
Old 05-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Almost a Member!

1993 300e
i have a stock us spec car. so the fog light is on the left (drivers) side. i was wondering ir the right hand drive (ie british,japanese) w124 have the fog light on the right side instead of the left.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
Im in cali (not that much fog) so i modded my rear fog lights so they will be my brake lights like on the bmw and my 2 other lights are always on. I can help you re-wire these lights like mine but some soldering is required. I did this so if one of my bulbs goes out i still have 2 left becasuse on the mb if your brake light goes out then you don't have lights on that tail light! This is how you know it's me if you see a mb with that light setup no other mb in cali has them i think! Well i just told you so i guess im not the only one now lol!
Old 05-04-2005, 05:02 PM

1994 MB E320
YNVDIZW124 I'd be interested in doing that this summer. I'll send you a PM when I'm ready to do it.

Hartj, while I don't know this for a fact, logically I would have to say that yes the rear foglight is on the other side. As far as I know in countries with RHD cars they pass on the right. That would explain why the right taillight on our left hand models appear to be able to be modified easily to use a foglight on that side so the same parts could be used in different countries. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
It only takes an hour but you need extra metal clips so if you get these all you have to get is another set of bulbs and that's it! Give your car a wider look when you brake! I will be giving away more mods in the future because it kills me seeing all stock benzes and I just want credit for what i came up with!
Old 05-29-2005, 01:21 AM

E280 W124 1995 24V
Here in the UK

Hartj, you are right. Here in England we have a single rear fog lamp on the right hand side of the car (nearest to the centre of the road for us driving on the 'wrong' side of the road!).
Cheaper cars here often have a white reversing light in the left hand light cluster, where left hand drive cars would have their rear fog lamps.
Mercedes, being quality cars of course have (here in the UK) a red blank lens in the left hand cluster (without clips or wiring) and a pair of white reversing lights in a different location.
When fog lamps were first introduced in the 1970's they were usually in matched pairs, but the government took the view that showing one (bright fog) light would be better to avoid confusion with the brake lights (stop lights?) and they amended the legislation.
Incidentally, I see a small number of American cars on the roads around here (London), but I am often confused why most have orange turn (indicator) lights on the rear - the same as we do, but sometimes the American car has no orange lights on the rear at all and turning is indicated by one of the 'normal' rear read lamps flashing off and on. Is it something that varies state to state, or are those with red indicators older cars?
Just interested!
Doug, in (an unseasonally hot) London