E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Need help with TWS. w202 parts for w124??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 e320, 01 c5 vette
Need help with TWS. w202 parts for w124??

Just in case I might get misunderstood, I just want to say first off that Sander at TWS is a real great guy to work with. Goes the extra mile to help me get things done, which is probably why so many of you cali guys on this forum recommend him. So here's the question. Not a complaint at all, but just want to make sure. I called Sander a couple weeks ago and asked him to hook me up with a Vogtland/Bilstein combo for my beloved w124. He's real helpful and gets me everything I need to get going. However, I received my spring/suspension set on Wednesday and I noticed it says it's for a w202 c-class. Assuming he might've just mistakenly sent the wrong set, I called up Sander and asked why the box was setup for a w202 c-class. He explained that the springs can be used in my car and hence it will drop the car about 2 inches, also going so far as to say that the TWS mechanic explained that because I am using c-class spring, I should probably go up to bump 3-4 pads. So to the guys on this board who have gone to TWS, is this in fact the case? Calie320, ChrisDPham, and among others, are you guys using these springs? The vogtland box is labeled as "30-60mm Red Violet Springs." If the springs can be used, then I'm not concerned at all.

Second question. This is a Vogtland suspension "set" for the w202 so the springs that came with the package are Bilstein blacks. I called Sander and he explained that they weren't yellow because back in the day, Bilstein had a license agreement with Vogtland and made shocks/struts for them as part of the suspension packages. I was curious about this because I just put Bilstein sports on my vette and they were the infamous yellow/blue color. The part numbers for the shocks/struts Sander sent me were B36-1857 and B36-1856. I checked this online and they are in fact listed as Bilstein HD's for the w202. I went ahead and checked the Bilstein Sport part numbers for a w124 and they are V36-0365 (fr) and B36-1470 (rear). I'm going to assume that one CAN'T interchange shocks.

So my question is: I can't run this w202 setup on my w124 can I? Sander said I could but you guys being the experts, I'd appreciate all the help I can get. I trust Sander so I think this might just be a mixup. But if you guys are running this exact setup that I was shipped, then I'll go ahead and get it installed. Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:30 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Yeah, Sander's definitely knows what he is doing.

I am utilizing W202 Vogtland springs right now and no problems at all. If it fits and works, then it's okay!

I don't know about your shocks though...I have the famous Bilstein Sport shocks which are yellow.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:05 PM
EKL
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 Cabriolet
Recently I changed my shocks/struts to Bilstein HD shocks/struts on my W124C and the color is Black not the old Yellow/Blue. But I called Bilstein, they told me the HD shocks can't use with lower sport springs. They said if I want to use the lower sport springs I have to use the Sport shocks/struts.
Bilstein phone number is 1-858-386-5900. Good Luck.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:58 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Yes, EKL is right. You can't use Bilstein HD shocks with lowering springs, yet I still don't know why some people still do.