E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Rear Brake Calipers - Newbie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brake Calipers - Newbie

New to the group, just bought a 92 300E with 133K. The Tech drove it and said the problem was in the rear and suggested I drive it a few days to see if it would get any better (I should have known better). They agreed to replace the rotors at a later date if the problem persisted. I showed up for the appointment the owner drove around the block at warp 1 slaming on the brakes and proclaimed he belonged to the Society of Automotive Engineering
and there wasn't anything wrong with the brakes and I was not an agressive enough driver and blew me off. Hmm, I'm a retired cop and truck driver with current CDL, but maybe I just haven't abused the vehicles enough!!! Oh well, not a big deal, buyer beware in the Smyrna, GA area....

I would like to do the work myself, so I need a source for the rotors and pads. Never worked on anything German, are there any complications or special tools needed? It looked like a pretty straight forward job to me.

Love the Benz, should have bought one years ago... This board is great!
Thanks,
truk4u
Old 07-06-2005, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by truk4u
New to the group, just bought a 92 300E with 133K. The Tech drove it and said the problem was in the rear and suggested I drive it a few days to see if it would get any better (I should have known better). They agreed to replace the rotors at a later date if the problem persisted. I showed up for the appointment the owner drove around the block at warp 1 slaming on the brakes and proclaimed he belonged to the Society of Automotive Engineering
and there wasn't anything wrong with the brakes and I was not an agressive enough driver and blew me off. Hmm, I'm a retired cop and truck driver with current CDL, but maybe I just haven't abused the vehicles enough!!! Oh well, not a big deal, buyer beware in the Smyrna, GA area....

I would like to do the work myself, so I need a source for the rotors and pads. Never worked on anything German, are there any complications or special tools needed? It looked like a pretty straight forward job to me.

Love the Benz, should have bought one years ago... This board is great!
Thanks,
truk4u
you need part #'s. or you need the marking numbers/ casting #'s off the rotors and calipers. i replaced my rear calipers in feb and it took 2 different sets to get it right. rotors run between 90-120 a piece and up. pads are super cheap but stick with the mbz stuff...less squealing. calipers can be upgraded to brembo if u drive like a race car driver or you can bolt on 500e calipers. however in that case you need bigger rims.

you wont find an easier car to do brakes on. always get new wear sensors. they are cheap at $3 each. also when you do the rotors you do need to remove the 2 bolts that hold the calipers on. then u need an allen wrench to remove the one bolt that holds the rotor on.

you also might want to consider replacing your front bearings if this yahoo drove the crap outta that car. i think that was like 40-50 a side for a bearing kit. those are easy to remove but tough to put back in if you dont have the correct tools.