Notices
E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Bigger brakes

Old 07-21-2005, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Bigger brakes

Has anyone put bigger brakes from a different model such as an mid '90's SL or S class. I just put 18's on my car and now the brakes look like crap. I've seen kits that use brakes from a 400E for a 190.
Any thoughts?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
i have 500e brakes. 4 piston up front and 2 piston in the rear.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

eric, dont the CEs already come with 4 piston calipers?

the easiest upgrade is to use the later (and all V8) calipers which were four pots (i think) you can also use those from an R129 SL, and i think the parts are pretty much interchangeable too. lotsa 129 and 124 parts are very similar to the point of interchangability.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by neanderthal
eric, dont the CEs already come with 4 piston calipers?

the easiest upgrade is to use the later (and all V8) calipers which were four pots (i think) you can also use those from an R129 SL, and i think the parts are pretty much interchangeable too. lotsa 129 and 124 parts are very similar to the point of interchangability.
well ashman doenst have the 4 pistons and he has the m103 motor. if these were stock then the stock fullsize 16" spare in the trunk would be mountable on the front of my car. whenever i get a flat on the front tire i have to call mbz to come out with an extra jack just so they can take a rear tire and put it on the front so my spare can go on the back.

the 129s should fit without a prob. now mine could be 129s but 500e pads fit the thing. all i know is when we order pads we always give them the part # on the calipers.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
i forgot to add. using slotted and drilled rotors improves the braking by minimizing the brake fade. i installed them and i get a lot more brake b4 it overheats. it also makes the brakes more noisy. if u dont like noise this is not an option for you.

we also did a 210 with slotted and drilled with the stock single piston floating caliper and the owner noticed a HUGE diff in braking. he was super impressed with how well it braked however he cryed constantly about the noise they make.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i think they must have upgraded the brakes when they installed the early M104 motor. early 90 models or so. coz as far as i know all the coupes and V8s and later models have the 4 piston calipers. we learn something new everyday.

im always amused by people who expect the best of both worlds. improved braking (usually) means mode dust and noise.

its like the old adage about a race car
you can have it cheap
you can have it fast
you can have it durable

pick any two.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
i think they must have upgraded the brakes when they installed the early M104 motor. early 90 models or so. coz as far as i know all the coupes and V8s and later models have the 4 piston calipers. we learn something new everyday.

im always amused by people who expect the best of both worlds. improved braking (usually) means mode dust and noise.

its like the old adage about a race car
you can have it cheap
you can have it fast
you can have it durable

pick any two.
i think they did go to 4 piston but mine must be oversized because as i stated b4 i cant fit the full sized spare that came with the car on the front. i dont think mbz would give you a tire and rim combo that wouldnt fit over the front calipers. i will check tire and rim size later.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well, all 124s sold in the states but the 500E/ E500 came with 15 inch rims. someone must have upgraded your brakes at some point.

is the not fitting a result of the caliper assembly being too big to fit the wheel over or a case of the the wheel rubbing on the caliper. coz if its the latter you could have a wheel from a different benz that had a different offset. the W201 and W126 had the same style (15hole) rims in differing sizes.

in my car, when i bought it i noticed that the spare was a different wheel, albeit in the same pattern. different part #, probably offset too, and slightly narrower. it could also be from an earlier 124; cars which had the slightly narrower, lighter, stronger (more expensive) and nicer forged wheel, vs the later (1990 or so and later) cast wheel. looked exactly the same though. one is just lighter and stronger (but more prone to having the surface peel) then the other.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
it is a stock mbz rim.

having said that it wont bolt up because the calipers are too big for it to go over. i could force it and bolt it down but that sucka would never spin freely. so as i said b4 these must be some kind of upgraded brakes. i guess i could pull the part# from the full sized spare. however last i recalled it was a 16" rim.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by AMG_Eric
it is a stock mbz rim.

having said that it wont bolt up because the calipers are too big for it to go over. i could force it and bolt it down but that sucka would never spin freely. so as i said b4 these must be some kind of upgraded brakes. i guess i could pull the part# from the full sized spare. however last i recalled it was a 16" rim.
i was wrong the spare is
195/65 15
Old 07-24-2005, 12:44 AM

just go with the 8 pistons up front and 4 pistons in the rear.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:16 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
lol ram! I wish I could put E55 brakes on my car. so beautiful.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

for a street car, thats what i call technological masturbation.

theres a place and a time for 8 pot calipers, like a race car maybe. for a street car that is just rice. thats like me putting a 20000watt stereo in the car; 100 is enough, 500 would be better, but you can get nice sound way below the 20000W threshold. you can only listen at a certain decibel level comfortably, so all those extra watts of power are going to "waste" as it were.

it always amuses me when people know more about the statistics of thier stuff than how to use it.

person A "ive got eleventy billion cubic inches four mega chargers, a hoover dam of nitrous and some black magic. i will go from zero to sixty before the clock even starts."
peson B "cool, so how often do you drive it"
person A "i dont it scares the ***** out of me"

crowing over the crap you have is a very juvenile bahaviour is you ask me. using that crap on the other hand........... :v
Old 07-31-2005, 03:27 AM

88 260 E
for a street car, thats what i call technological masturbation.

theres a place and a time for 8 pot calipers, like a race car maybe. for a street car that is just rice. thats like me putting a 20000watt stereo in the car; 100 is enough, 500 would be better, but you can get nice sound way below the 20000W threshold. you can only listen at a certain decibel level comfortably, so all those extra watts of power are going to "waste" as it were.

it always amuses me when people know more about the statistics of thier stuff than how to use it.

person A "ive got eleventy billion cubic inches four mega chargers, a hoover dam of nitrous and some black magic. i will go from zero to sixty before the clock even starts."
peson B "cool, so how often do you drive it"
person A "i dont it scares the ***** out of me"

crowing over the crap you have is a very juvenile bahaviour is you ask me. using that crap on the other hand........... :v
Well if that was the case why should there be super street cars that can go 180mph. With your mentality why would anybody need to go that fast?

People mod to do it because they can. Your anology with person A and B is a case of sour grapes. I've thrown close to 20g's into my W124 that's probably worth 8grand tops. And you know what I barely drive it 3-4x a year. Why do I need a body kit when I don't even go past 80mph, why do I need X-drilled rotors, why do I need a 4g paint job on a 5g car, why do I need custom made sway bars, the answer is because I can.....

Juvenile is knocking what somebody else has and you don't. It's called sour grapes my friend, and you're not fooling anybody if you're going to tell me if you had the opportunity to twin turbo your Benz or throw 4-8 pistion calipers on , that you wouldn't jump at the chance.
~Cali

Last edited by CaliE320; 07-31-2005 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CaliE320
Well if that was the case why should there be super street cars that can go 180mph. With your mentality why would anybody need to go that fast?

People mod to do it because they can. Your anology with person A and B is a case of sour grapes. I've thrown close to 20g's into my W124 that's probably worth 8grand tops. And you know what I barely drive it 3-4x a year. Why do I need a body kit when I don't even go past 80mph, why do I need X-drilled rotors, why do I need a 4g paint job on a 5g car, why do I need custom made sway bars, the answer is because I can.....

Juvenile is knocking what somebody else has and you don't. It's called sour grapes my friend, and you're not fooling anybody if you're going to tell me if you had the opportunity to twin turbo your Benz or throw 4-8 pistion calipers on , that you wouldn't jump at the chance.
~Cali

au contraire monsiuer
if i wanted to mod a car for performance i would mod one that actually had pretensions of performance, and would respond better to the mods; like a bmw for instance. while mercs ride nicely and rule at high speed they just dont have the handling balance that bmws have, understeer horribly at pace, and dont transition well in rapid left right left manouvers.
and you might call it juvenile or sour grapes, but i call it prudence. im not a d1ck swinger like other people i know;
i buy the ipod i need (ipod mini, i almost never have occasion to listen to music for more than four hours at a time.) not the ipod with the largest capacity.
i buy the shoes that are the most comfortable to me (usually running shoes from asics, saucony, brooks etc i have found thier cushioning to be far superior to that of common "name brand/ mega corporation" athletic shoes) rather than the latest shoe being foisted on us by a large corporation and being pimped by some overpaid athelete.
i buy the wheels and tires that will complement my car, not the ones that are the biggest shiniest spinners that shaq has on his truck. so i will only buy performance tires if i track a car, or if i routinely make canyon runs, otherwise quiet long lasting all seasons please.

i do not follow the herd, and buy whatever is supposedly the newest, or biggest or baddest according to public opinion/ marketing hacks/ celebrities/ lifestyle magazines/ the aztec gods/ whatever. i buy what i want based on my needs and experiences, and no more. i know people who succumb to the marketing hype, like a coworker who bought an ipod against my advice, the 30gig photo model, but has no computer from which to upload his songs. another guy has bought 5 different cars and a bike in the 5 years ive known him, each becasue it was the newest and latest and had a succesful marketing scheme, but he has traded them all except the last two, and is selling his bike not even a year and a half after buying it.
i buy and wear rugby jerseys, not phat farm/ fubu/ nyce/ whatever. i play rugby, i have personally experienced how durable the jerseys are.
or how about another guys in his thirties who still lives with his parents, and has a 10 year old kid, who just recently crashed his sportsbike, and now wants to buy a $50000 truck. he still lives with his parents.

as i said before, im not a d!ck swinger, im not a braggard, i do not show off my things or buy them for that purpose. i buy them for thier utility and have very few things that i own that i do not use regularly. i wear my ten year old rugby jerseys because they are still in good condition, not becasue they are the latest fashion, not because they are the marketing product of the latest number one artist. not becasue they are cool (they are heavy and keep you hotter in so cal). not because everyone asks me about them (they dont) i dont believe the hype and my buying decisions reflect that.

more power to those who would want to have 8 pot calipers on a street car, or an AMG triburbo v16 with eleventy bazillion cubes and a drag race blower. you can never fully exploit the utility of those items on the street, and i secretly laugh at those who adhere to that lifestyle that has constantly changing parameters of whats hot. but you know what, they have a purpose, coz without them, we wouldnt be able to buy 4 year old M3s for 2/3s the original price.

Last edited by neanderthal; 07-31-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:56 PM

92 AMG 190E EVO2DTM, 240T Turbo Benz, 84 AMG 190E, 560SEC-TT, 95 C36 & a BHG 98 C230
I just made some adapters to put Nissan GTR calipers on 300e spindles using the 500E disc (300mm). I machined the word Nissan off. the calipers are 4 pot and weigh 9 lbs. with the pads and cost about $150 a pair used. I am also making the adapters for the 328mm Disc. I know this is a un-ethical swap but I could just not see installing 20+lbs 500E Cast Iron calipers on my car. My other option is Porsche calipers but the cost of used ones is

Last edited by Darth Speed; 07-31-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:25 AM

S500
That's sounds interesting Darth Speed.
I've actually gotten some prices on W220 S class brake parts. If they'll bolt on then that's what I'll be going with. Any thoughts?
Regards,
Joe
Old 08-01-2005, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Darth Speed
I just made some adapters to put Nissan GTR calipers on 300e spindles using the 500E disc (300mm). I machined the word Nissan off. the calipers are 4 pot and weigh 9 lbs. with the pads and cost about $150 a pair used. I am also making the adapters for the 328mm Disc. I know this is a un-ethical swap but I could just not see installing 20+lbs 500E Cast Iron calipers on my car. My other option is Porsche calipers but the cost of used ones is
an intresting and probably original brake upgrade.

are the GTR brakes the same size as the 500E brakes (300mm accoring to you?) you should think about marketing this adapter to the benz community. though to be honest, most are benz snobs.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by Darth Speed
Unethical? Bull. If there's good performance to be gained then screw ethics :0) Some would tell me it's unethical to put a Vortech blower on my benz (and specifically requesting the loud one) but I'm doing it anyway. :0)

I know I wasn't too keen on your camber arms, but some of the other mods you're talking about on here sound really interesting/original and I'd love to see some pics! I'd also like more info on your turbo setup. My centrifugal blower is going on this week and the idea of a turbo benz has always intrigued me. If you have pics of that, please email me :0)
Old 08-03-2005, 05:24 PM

Mercedes-Benz 400E
You can get front c32 brakes for $500 a set from Mark on shopforum.

That was a while ago so the price might of changed.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by zeronero
You can get front c32 brakes for $500 a set from Mark on shopforum.

That was a while ago so the price might of changed.
i believe ram has 8 pot calpers on his 500e. i think it said BREMBO on them.