E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

A/C problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C problem

For some reason my A/C doesn't really blow out any air... like once in a while if I hold my hand close to it I can feel a little bit of air, but for the most part it doesn't make things any cooler... I took it to someone and they wanted me to pay $75 for a diagnostic but I was wondering if there are any things I could do myself... I'll be honest, I don't know jack about cars... but if it's something like adding certain fluids or something I could give it a try.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E 320
What Year? If its R134 you can get a recharge can with a dial on it and follow instructions. If its R12 you will need a pro for that one.

Brian
Old 07-27-2005, 07:36 PM

91 300E

And could you explain what you just said in dummies terms... I have no knowledge about cars what so ever... lol thanx
Old 07-27-2005, 09:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Being low on charge has nothing to do with the amount of airflow coming out from the vents. If you feel cool air slightly wafting out from the vents, then your blower motor isn't working. The first thing to check is the fuse near the driver's side shock mount. It's a 30A fuse mounted in a rectangular flip-open black plastic "coffin".
Old 07-28-2005, 10:41 AM

1991 300E
your car was made to use R12 freon. This type of refridgerant is no longer sold to individuals. If you turn your ac dial to MIN and your fan to high, you should feel a lot of cold air blowing from the Vents (makes sure they are open). If you don't feel air blowing from the vents then you have a problem with your fan. If it is blowing air but it is not cold, then you are most likely either low on freon, or have a problem with your a/c compressor, or possibly an electrical fault with your climate control system (i.e the car is not telling the a/c to come on) If you have a very limited knowledge of cars, I would suggest you bite the bullet and take it to an independant mercedes repair shop. They should do a diagnostic test for free, but since we are in the middle of a heat wave and everybody wants their A/C fixed, it may take a while. Let us know if you have more questions. I have a '91 300E and just recharged my A/C.