E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Water pump leaking steering pump whining

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 300E
Water pump leaking steering pump whining

Im back....
I have now got antifreez leeking out from the bottom of my car. I assume it is the water pump as I havel looked over everthing that I can see and cannot see the leak and it is coming down from where the water pump is. So the car is a 87 300E with 190K and already one pump replaced according to the paperwork. I also have (what I assume) is a loud steering pump because I have had other cars whith the loud hydrolic pump noise before so I assume that is what it is. Doesn't change pitch when I turn as others did, however with no rack that may be why. Thenoise gets louder with the RPM and is definitly in the same area as the AC/Water/steering pump area. A water pump can't make the whining hydrolic pump noise, can it? ANyways looking for help on how to replace these two pumps along with finding the cheepest place to buy one. Anything locak to NH, MA, CT area that would be cheep or is it just internet that will give me the best price.....THANKS EVERYONE
Old 07-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Almost a Member!

1988 300E
I've got DIY instructions for changing your water pump, i just recently did my 88 300E, shouldnt take you too long if you have the tools and parts.

Edit: The process to take the water pump off leaves you perfect access to the ps pump, so you are in perfect position to change both fairly easily.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:22 PM

Mercedes-Benz 400E
Going thru two water pumps at 190k doesn't sound to likely to me, mine went out at 135k miles, currently my car has almost the same mileage as yours without any hint of waterpump problems.

This might be a longshot but you might look at the fluid level in your PS reservoir, if it's super low that would be causing the noise and it might even be the source of the fluid you see.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:48 PM

87 300E
well I didn't get the PS pump yet

Well I didn't get the PS pump yet, but I was able to pick a water pump up this morning for $180 in Nashua, NH...now I just have to make the drive to CT. There is no way I would not be able to see where the fluid was coming from unless it was the o-ring where it mounts to the engine (NO), so it must be coming out of the seep valve. The first pump was replaced at a dealer so there no telling weather it was actually replaced or needed to be or what. This is just from the paperwork from the original owner. I am almost certain it is the pump but I will know after this weekend. I can always go back and do the PS pump later when the more critical stuff is taken care of. The fluid is fine, but I was going to swap the filter and really wanted to drain the whole system, I jus't don't know if that is possible. I think there may be a drain under the 'power steering motor' or whatever it is called.
Next is Springs, then alignment...then maybe my savings account will come back...HA!
Like mY rims?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:25 PM

Mercedes-Benz 400E
You can drain the power steering fluid very easily using two methods.

The first is to disconnect the return hose which is low pressure and place it in a bucket, then turn the car on and move the wheel side to side. When the fluid seems empty start puring new fluid in which will flush the system. Connect the hose now and pure new fluid in until its at the desired level. You need two people to do this.

The second is to simply use a turkey baster to suck the fuild out from the reservoir until its empty. Then turn the car on and suck the fluid out that passes through the reservoir. Once hardly any is passing through add new fluid to the desired level. Only one person needed.

Recently I used the second method which took less a then 30min. and costs about $15 to do included the filter.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:15 AM
A2T

Originally Posted by DrTofu
I've got DIY instructions for changing your water pump, i just recently did my 88 300E, shouldnt take you too long if you have the tools and parts.

Edit: The process to take the water pump off leaves you perfect access to the ps pump, so you are in perfect position to change both fairly easily.
Dr Tofu - where are these DIY instructions?! I need to replace water pump in my 87 300D. '

Much thanks!!

Paul
www.GruvenParts.com