E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Turns over but won't start....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turns over but won't start....

Hi all- I've been lurking on here for a while, but this is my first post. I have a question on my 1986 300e. This morning when I went to start the car, it turns over great, but won't start. I'm not sure where to start with this. The plugs are not in great shape, but I don't think they're bad enough to stop the car from starting after its been running fine. Either way I will replace them, but does anyone have any ideas on where I should start with this? I'll check for spark tonight- any other ideas? Is there a way to check the fuel pump? The fuel filter is about three years old. Any help or similar problems are much appreciated. Thanks for the help.... Chris: 1986 300E, 107k.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
We need more info. You only have one fuel pump and should make a noise when turning on the ignition by the rear passanger tire.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no start update...

Thanks for the reply. I just spent an hour on the car. Took off one of the plug wires and turned the key. The spark seemed to be intermittent. I cleaned the plugs, then cleaned the contacts in the distributor and rotor. Next I took the wire from the ignition coil off at the distributor end, and the spark seemed great when I cranked it. I put it back together and the car started fine.

Also, I can hear the fuel pump in the rear, so that seems ok.

At this point, i think I'll drive it a bit and see how it acts. The car was a little bit rough at idle before this all happened, but I had assumed that was the dirty plugs. Maybe that was ignition related too?

Maybe I need a new coil? New Cap/rotor? Could it be timing? I'm just guessing here...

Again, any ideas however random they may be are appreciated....

Thanks again, Chris
Old 10-13-2005, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
change the spark plugs using bosch h8dc not h9dc (autozone gives you these when you tell the the car and model) Timing is not adjustable and clean your idle control valve. I would tell everyone with an older mercedes to change to gold or brass injectors because they give a smoother ride.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
Give your car a "treat" instead of a treatment. Install a new cap and rotor ! Your car will love you for it!! :p :p :p

Smokie