E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

What Spring Pads with Sportline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Spring Pads with Sportline

Can any one advise on what spring pads I should fit with Sportline springs etc.

I currently have 4 pins on the front, 2 pins on the rear with orginal springs.

The car sits very high at the front. I am not changing the tyre or wheel size (sticking with factory standard). I am not looking to lower the car too much, or have a hard ride but just make it go round corners better.

Any advice very welcome

Thanks
Old 07-26-2002, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I recently installed full sportline components...struts, shocks, springs, bushings, sway bars, etc. on my 1991 300CE. I went with 1 bump pads all around. I am also running 8-hole sportline wheels (15 X 7) ET44 instead of the "stock" 15 X 6.5 ET48 with 205-60/15 Michelins.

The car looks good and handles very nicely.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-26-2002, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds great Chappy, any chance of a photo?
Old 07-26-2002, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Look here...

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...rtline+upgrade

Pretty much goes over everything. I am E.P. on that site
Old 07-31-2002, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
1 bump 2 bump 3 bump

I have a 1995 E320 SE W124. I just installed Eibach Pro-kit springs, Bilstein Heavy Duty Shocks, 16" AMG Monoblocks, 205-55-16" tires, and changed from 3 bump to 1 bump pads all around. The rear dropped 1.5" and the front dropped 1". The rear camber was -3 after the mods. I then purchased the K-MAC rear bushings so that the camber could be adjusted. I also did a lot of measuring and decided to put 3 bump in the rear and keep the 1 bump in the front. I was looking for a symmetrical drop. I thought the car looked like the rear was kind of old and broken down with it too low in the rear. After installing K-MAC bushings, the 3 bump pads, and adjusting the camber the car was higher in the back than it should have been if only the 10mm increase in pad height had been added. I think that adjusting the camber may have added to the increase in height in the rear. 1 bump front and 2 bump rear may have been OK with the adjustment in camber. Right now the car is 1" lower all around and it is 0.25" higher in the back than in the front. This is the same relationship front to back as it was before the drop, but the smaller fender gap makes the small difference a bit more noticeable. I like the way my car looks, but it would have been OK with 2-bump rear and 1 bump front. I didn't like the rear lower than the front. I measured a lot of Mercedes cars before I made my decision and the W124s are always higher in the rear. BMWs are lower in the back, but as I said, I thought my car looked broken down with too low in the rear. As far as the quality of the ride, well, you do loose the luxurious turnpike ride after the modification. It isn't horrible, but definitely harder. Even though I chose the less stiff Eibach Pro-kit springs, the less severe Bilstein HDs instead of sports, and a grand touring tire instead of hard core performance tires I did loose ride quality. I run my tires soft at MB recommended pressure of 27 psi cold and it is still quite nice, but not as nice as before the mods. I should add, however, that my car is outrageous on a twisted back road. No more floating like a tuna boat. I am sure that I can hang with any sports car.