E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

short cut burnt out becker radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 MB E320, 1988 Porsche 951
short cut burnt out becker radio

Guys, the Becker radio that came with the E320 I bought comes up with "C-ERR" on the display. It means the former owner entered the wrong code too many times. According the the owner's manual I just got with the proper code, the radio needs to be powered on for 24 hours w/ignition key on before the "CODE" prompt comes back. It's not good idea to leave the key in the ignition parked in the streets of NYC. So I pulled the radio out and on work bench hooked it up to a 12 volt regulated power supply (Radio Shack item). I located the 12 v hot, the 12 v ignition, and the ground, and powered up. Well, after a few hours, the radio burnt out. So it's NOT a good idea to try and by-pass the 24 hour thing. $400 radio up in smoke. Live and learn.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
what kind of power supply did you use? I have one that I have powered up many different radios and have never had an issue with it and it is very old.

If it was a simple plug in wall unit that was not a power converter or inverter or whatever it is that converts ac power to a simulated 12v supply like a car would use, then that is probably why it went out.

You may as well get an aftermarket unit at this point, or you could send the unit out to be repaired.

Have you checked the radio fuse? that should have burned before the radio would burn.

Alon
Old 01-04-2006, 06:00 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 MB E320, 1988 Porsche 951
the power supply I used is a Radio Shack regulated 12v supply. I used it many times to run my CB radio from the house. the radio 10A fuse didn't blow. it's going to be too expensive to send out for repairs. I replaced it with a Pioneer single CD radio, works fine. I desoldered the harness from the Becker to use with the Pioneer so I don't have to splice into the car's harness. the power antenna works and the speakers still sound pretty good for a 12 yr old car. I got the harness wiring configuration from a radio repair web site, don't remember what it is right now, but if anyone needs it, I can find it again.