E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Breaking Causes Stall????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breaking Causes Stall????

Hello- All

I have a 1989 300E. Every time a press on my brakes firmly, (not really, really, really hard, like to avoid an accident, but harder than your normal 100yd stop), the engine stalls.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E 320
Could there be a large Vacuum leak in the brake booster. To the point when you hit the brakes it like pulling a line off the motor. This would be just a wild guess at this point. TO TEST Pull and plug the Vacuum line off the brake booster and take it out and try it.............PLEASE KNOW the brakes are going to be very hard to stop the car.......

Brian
Old 02-02-2006, 02:48 AM
Almost a Member!

Okay, i'm sorry it has been so long since i posted, i forgot to mention that this car had no radiator, fans, etc. So my testing has been delayed. Where would i find that line?

Also, it seems that it only stalls when making sharp turns and braking hard. So could it have something to do with excessive movement of the body?

Maybe the oil sensor? I have heard that it shuts off the carb when it sees the engine as lacking oil.

Maybe i'm wrong

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 09:03 AM

E 320
When you test the booster make sure you plug the vac. line to the motor. Yes the low oil indicator could do that, just unplug it and see what happens. I know on my 89 IROC the Oil Pressure sensor was a emergency kill switch for the fuel pump.

Brian
Old 02-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Almost a Member!

As far as testing the booster- i should unplug it and then re-plug it in and then see if it works, right?

What will unplugging the oil sensor do? If i cant start the car after i do that, should i assume that it is the faulty part?

It appears that it happens most often in a right turn.

Thanks

Last edited by Hopeless; 02-02-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:41 PM

E 320
Well when you pull the line off the booster if you do not plug it, there will be a huge Vac. leak and the car probably will not run at all. Now the thing with turning right kinda take the booster out of it.

If you unplug the sensor and the car runs it probably is not the oil pressure controlling the pump. If it will not start with it unpluged then you may be on to something. The Sensor is in the left side of the M104 pan so I am not sure about the M103 however a sharp right turn may be taking the oil away and the sensor may be falsing.

I hate to ask this but did you check the oil level? Make sure the stick is not going past the tube stop and giving you a false reading.

Let me know
Brian
Old 02-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Allright- Here it is--

Apparently this car has been in the shop, and they "fixed" the problem, then it started happening again. Apparently there is some hose that goes into the fuel tank, and the holder that holds it in place is loose, so when a right turn is made when there is less than a half-tank of gas, the tube goes flying, and the fuel pump reads that it's out of fuel, and shuts off.

The car is going to go back into the shop and they will replace the broken part.

I'm really sorry, i wasnt told of any of this which might have helped.

Brian, Thank you so much for all your help, It truly is appreciated.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:52 PM

E 320
Hey no problem, just glad your car is going to be up and running. We both learned something new about cars today. Good luck and stay in touch.

Brian