E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

instrument panel light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes benz 1991 300ce(RIP), now an 89 300ce
instrument panel light

i noticed that the gauges on the instrument panel is lit from the front, not the back like most cars. is there a way to change the bulb so as to make it a different color? or does anyone know what type of bulb it is? thanks in advance
Old 01-17-2006, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
The cluster illumination is kind of special. The cluster and the gauges illu. is managed by 2 bulbs at the rear/top of the instrument cluster. Lenses are used to distribute the light evenly across the cluster. However each of the failure indicatior has its own bulb. To change the light color you can replace them by colored bulbs. But NEVER use higher wattage bulbs, they burn the lenses. I dont know exactly the socket number but they are the ones which are completely made of glass and stick in a socket which it attached to the cluster housing by a ~90 degree turn. I once changed mine from bulbs to LED's, since the lenses were burnt, due to higher wattage bulbs. It was a job during winter, with long nights nothing better to do than fiddle around with the LED's to make it look good. It is a try and error thing.

Last edited by bamberger_1; 01-17-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
should be a w5w I think.

The type 194 will work but they are higher wattage and will melt the plastic light distributor.

For me I don;t care about that. I put in some super white 194's and they light up nice and white not yellow like the oem ones.

But yes the les that distributes the light will melt and get distorted from type 194 bulbs.

For me it is not a concern as I am working on a new project that involves making new custom gauges agin that are back lit for my car. it is a major project and I havent started yet as I have not gottent heparts needed to do it.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:09 PM

Mercedes benz 1991 300ce(RIP), now an 89 300ce
can anyone give me a brief tutorial on removing the face and installing the lights and the such? the led with a resistor shouldn't be too hot at all, correct? i believe that they burn cooler than bulbs. thanks
Old 01-21-2006, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Wink

Hi,
as I said in my earlier post swapping to LED's is possible, but a real project to make it look and function well. First you need to pull the instrument cluster. Take off the steering wheel. (works also with SW on, but leaves little space to work) Build two hooks made of flat steel ~1/2" wide and ~1/32" thick. Bend the tip to a 90 degree angle about 1/8" (or little less). Slide the two hooks (one on each side of the cluster) between the dash and the cluster housing, and then start pulling both hooks to move the cluster forward, until it stops. Then unscrew the odometer cable. If it is not possible you need to remove the carpet and loosen the cable next to the brake pedal. As soon as you unscrewed the odometer cable the cluster comes out further, and you can unplug the electrical wires. If there no markings on you need to do so. After that you can slide the cluster out. (which works easier with the steering wheel off). On the rear side of the cluster you can find 2 sockets on the top of the casing which are the instrument lights. Turn them and take them out. In order to swap to LED's you need to somehow do two things. One is to solder the LED into the socket, since the 12V connection is on the circuit board, and secondly position the LED there where the bulb was to use the lense right, otherwise you have shadows or dark spots on the gauges. LED'S have a different light emission and light distribution. To find the right position you need to try out in a dark room where the LED has to go (external 12V DC supply). If the are lenses already burnt or discolored (under the white cover on the top of the cluster housing, open carefully with a solder iron, not to break them) it won't work. I had that, and swapped the lenses by two acrylic glass pieces approximately the same shape as the originals. As I said relatively simple, but it needs patience and a few hours. I used the ultra white 5mm LED's with highest lumen value I could get.
Have fun if you are going to do it.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:56 AM

84 500SEL 76Moto Guzzi w/Sidecar
Originally Posted by bamberger_1
Hi,
as I said in my earlier post swapping to LED's is possible, but a real project to make it look and function well. First you need to pull the instrument cluster. Take off the steering wheel. (works also with SW on, but leaves little space to work) Build two hooks made of flat steel ~1/2" wide and ~1/32" thick. Bend the tip to a 90 degree angle about 1/8" (or little less). Slide the two hooks (one on each side of the cluster) between the dash and the cluster housing, and then start pulling both hooks to move the cluster forward, until it stops. Then unscrew the odometer cable. If it is not possible you need to remove the carpet and loosen the cable next to the brake pedal. As soon as you unscrewed the odometer cable the cluster comes out further, and you can unplug the electrical wires. If there no markings on you need to do so. After that you can slide the cluster out. (which works easier with the steering wheel off). On the rear side of the cluster you can find 2 sockets on the top of the casing which are the instrument lights. Turn them and take them out. In order to swap to LED's you need to somehow do two things. One is to solder the LED into the socket, since the 12V connection is on the circuit board, and secondly position the LED there where the bulb was to use the lense right, otherwise you have shadows or dark spots on the gauges. LED'S have a different light emission and light distribution. To find the right position you need to try out in a dark room where the LED has to go (external 12V DC supply). If the are lenses already burnt or discolored (under the white cover on the top of the cluster housing, open carefully with a solder iron, not to break them) it won't work. I had that, and swapped the lenses by two acrylic glass pieces approximately the same shape as the originals. As I said relatively simple, but it needs patience and a few hours. I used the ultra white 5mm LED's with highest lumen value I could get.
Have fun if you are going to do it.
Bamberger 1, any advice for replacing the dimmer control module. I have the cluster out and checked the bulbs.
convert