E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

antifreeze: Zerex g06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 300CE Sportline
antifreeze: Zerex g06

a previous poster made the following comment:
""just flush the cooling system and re fill it using the yellow stuff or zerex g06. save yourself any potential problems.""
Does Zerex have a MB compatible product that is less cost?
I posted earlier regarding head gasket repairs and certainly will be using a proper antifreeze upon refill. I believe in OEM products but am always open to quality substitutes. Thanks!
kurt
Old 03-06-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300E 2.6
Mercedes has specified a special coolant formula since, I believe, the mid 1980s. It is referred to as a "HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) formulation, as opposed to an "OAT" formulation. It is more "pH neutral", supposedly causing less corrosion damage to internal cooling system metals. Zerex has been a (the?) manufacturer of this formulation for Mercedes since the beginning. What you want is called "Zerex G-05", and it is that same formulation at a better price. It is usually not stocked by the average store. I ordered mine from NAPA and it was about $12.50/gal. I have seen posts indicating that some have found it on sale for less than that. I believe "Pep Boys" was one of the stores mentioned. Even if you buy the MB branded version, you only need a gallon for a 124 6 cyl. motor, unless you live in Alaska or Antarctica!
OliverB