E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

antifreeze flush

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 300CE Sportline
antifreeze flush

Got the genuine MB antifreeze. Any special tricks or considerations to draining and refill?
Over the yrs I've done a couple of different things, no idea if one is better than the other. I've opened drain spout and when it is finished dripping added straight water and filled/drained/filled and then drove around a few days. Then drained, figuring that is a VERY simple approach to flushing the old fluid out. Then filled with the 50/50 mixture. Or: drained and then added 50/50 mix: doesn't seem to get all the old out. Any other thoughts or processes ot there?
Thanks!
Kurt
1993 300CE Sportline
ps: I'm new to this forum and enjoying the thoughtful and polite feedback
Old 03-24-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
There are a number of methods. I just wanted to point out a few things.

One is that your engine block has drain plugs. Draining from there and the radiator will get a lot of fluid out.

The other is to keep the amount of tap water in the cooling system down to a minimum. Instead, use distilled, deionized, or demineralized water for the makeup water. I flush with tap water, but then I drain and displace as much of the tap water as possible, using deionized water (which I get free on tap at work).

Once everything is flushed out, I refill with the proper amount of antifreeze - calculated from the published cooling capacity of my car - then top off with DI water.

Don't forget to drain the overflow tank. I use a length of hose to siphon it out.

Last edited by Kestas; 03-24-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:49 PM

1991 300E
also don't forget to run the heater when you are flushing to get the old coolant out of the heater coil.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:38 PM

W124
It's also good practice to use distilled water when making your solution since its only a buck something at the supermarket. After I've drained everything I take my (cleaned out) shop vac or a compressor and push out any excess water in the radiator out by making a seal over the filler neck on the reservoir w/ my hands. I let the air push out any excess water, coolant or radiator flush that may remain.