E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

300e turbo project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300e turbo project

I would like to build a low boost turbo stepup for my automatic 1991 300e.

Here are my questions:

#1. Does a factory log manifold exist for the m103? I know the benefit in efficiency of a tubular split pulse, but I want this imple to start with.

#2. Am I correct in thinking that the ignition timing can be retarded enough with the existing system. The Euro models actually have a knob, where as we get a set resistor, that if removed advances the timing 6 degrees. My theory is to retard the timing with more resistance, or teh Euro adjuster.

#3. Can I use a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator to compensate for the added need, or is there another way to add extra fuel when under boost.

#4. Does anyone know what the stock transmission can handle? Mine has been replaced recently (PO).

I plan to use no more than 8 psi, and mostlikely only 6. This is one of my daily drivers, and I am not going wild with it, I just want some extra umph!

-Kyle
Old 03-27-2006, 02:33 PM

W124
There's already a turbo kit available for the W124 chassis. I believe its made by a company called Mosselman (or something that starts w/ a M). To be honest there isn't much benefit from installing a turbo unless you build your own and in which case you lose all reliability of the car. The M103 is already fragile as it is, it wasn't meant for bolt on upgrades. I'm not saying it can't be done but if you want it done right its gonna cost you.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by NorCal124
There's already a turbo kit available for the W124 chassis. I believe its made by a company called Mosselman (or something that starts w/ a M). To be honest there isn't much benefit from installing a turbo unless you build your own and in which case you lose all reliability of the car. The M103 is already fragile as it is, it wasn't meant for bolt on upgrades. I'm not saying it can't be done but if you want it done right its gonna cost you.
I don't have much experience with Mercedes engines, I was even surprised to find my car has nonsequential fuel injection.

I saw a used kit from that company, as with most other Benz products, was way over priced.

As I said I am not looking for much increase, just about 6 psi.