E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

My E220 - with 19's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My E220 - with 19's

Hey all,

Here's my First merc - a 94 E220 W124.

Picked it up about 3 weeks ago.. Slapped the rims on last week, and gave her a good buff & clean up...

Everythings stock except the Springs & wheels: Enkei - Bortex 19x8"

Old 04-04-2006, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
looks great!

can you post side pix?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
what are the specs on those wheels? offset? what size tires? i had mentally settles on 18's, but you are re-igniting my dream of 19's...
what spring/shock combo are you using?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:40 PM

The wheels are Enkei - BORTEX. 19x8 with a 38mm offset.
Tyres are 225/35/19's

Springs are custom made somewhere here in Australia through a workshop called OzzyTyres. Not an off the shelf item.. you just specify how high or low you want them. I went 2.5" Lower at the front and 3.5" at the back (from standard). Still got standard shocks in.

Here's a few more photos:

Old 04-05-2006, 12:40 AM
X03

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 1990 300E
nice rims, pretty neutral about them on the car. i cant decide if i really like the look or not. nice car though, keep up the good work!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

91' 300e // 99 300e TD // 00' ML55 AMG
well it looks like im gonna have to get a 124 again.... damn thats hott!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:45 AM

W124
How's the rubbing?

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2006, 01:57 AM

a TVR Cerbera Speed Twelve
Has the engine had any trouble due to the large rims? For example a decrease in acceleration?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:20 AM

Next to no probs with rubbing.. Just going up driveways/gutters slowly and its fine. normal driving is perfect - its yet to scrub (even with a full tank and full load). So yeah, just when the wheels are turned (outside the guard) and going up a gutter - just can't go up as quick as you usually would.
The back has miles of room - and I might even drop it down another inch..

No probs with acceleration... The wheels/tyres aren't much bigger than standard diameter anyway..

I really don't see the big deal with 19's on a W124.. I searched through heaps of MB forums and majority of people said 19's won't fit etc.. And I was going to get 18's.. But after calling about 5 wheel & tyre places here in Australia and every one of them saying 19's won't be a problem - I dunno what everyone here is on about!????
Old 04-05-2006, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
We all know they do fit with 19x8 on a 225/35 tire but the problem I had with going with 19s or even 18s is that if you don't pay attention and you drive over a pot hole those rims are going to get bent or cracked so that's the big deal specially on a 35 series tire....rubbing and fitment can be fixed by rolling the fenders and having the correct offset wich is 38mm so it's perfect for the w124.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:33 PM

Yeah, its just the way I was reading it was that it was a big NO-NO to put 19's on a W124. where it was fine to put them on various C-Class Mercs etc..

When now your saying its because of the rubber band around the rim - could cause you to damage your wheels.. I just found it odd because thats kinda common knowledge. Same with 19's+ on majority of cars..

I think most people on here don't have bigger wheels because they think they wont fit.. have a look around - MOST people will tell you that a 19x8 won't fit a W124. Even an 18x8 would be pushing it. I was told Max I should go would be a 18x7.5. ???

Anyways... I took a gamble and got them anyways.. I've had big rims with low profile tyres before (roads over here are pretty good) so yeah..

Actually now that I think about it, when compaired to other cars I've had, The W124 still drives closer to normal out of all of em. I had an BMW E30 with 225/35/18's on and it was a rougher ride.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Well it all depends on the wheel and offset. Most people on here trying to buy 19s are buying sizes like 19x8.5 with a 35mm offset unless you wanna ride on the fenders and want to waste a good set of tires. The issue atleast for me with 19s is that it's soo easy to bend or crack one of the rims. Also the tires are way more expensive compared to 17s or 18s. I have 18x8 with a 35mm offset and they fit great without rubbing and i'm running a 225/40/18 tire with eibach springs and bilstein hd shocks and drives fine.

You can run 20s on a w124 and they fit but I do not recommend them. I mean it's not a big gamble with those wheels you have because their the perfect offset and width that's why they fit. Also the c-class has more room on the rear and you can run more aggressive offsets or widths up to 9.5 so it's fine to put 19s on a c class.

Since your roads are pretty good i won't think you would have any problems but over here in the US their not that good and you'll find plenty pot holes after a storm. I live in los angeles so it's even worst here.

Last edited by YNVDIZW124; 04-06-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:18 AM

88 260 E
You also have to keep in mind that most people that inquire about 19's are running a way lower set-up then yours. H&R/Bilstein sport or Vogtland set-ups I can guarantee even with the correct offset they will NOT fit !!!!
You will have major rubbing issues, you'll need to roll the fenders or add the spacer kit.
So now to the nitty gritty, not to knock you or put you in your place. But here's the cold hard facts my friend.
You're still running stock shocks which are higher then the lowering shocks. You think you're ok now come back and talk to me in about a year. Those stock shocks are either going to blow out or wear out fast and you'll be rubbing big time. Anybody that's been modding and lowering cars with experience can tell you that.Think about it long stock shock shorter spring the stock shock is taking alot more punishment. You might want to upgrade to Bilstein HD's. For those out there that keep on saying shocks have nothing to do with height of the car, what happens to a car with old shocks? It becomes LOWER!!!
As well sounds to me like they just cut your springs or some other springs and slapped their name on it. They could have also just have easily heated up your springs or some others to make them lower.There's no way in hell that some shop can custom make any RELIABLE spring for any car on a whim without alot of research and testing. Key word here RELIABLE. Each spring is made differently for every car depending on the weight of the car and many other variables. Your set-up although nice now, long term and performance wise it's really iffy.
You can slap on 20's and they'll fit but what everybody is truly asking is what's the largest rims set-up that they can go with the tried and true lowering set-up. When you modd you want to also keep in mind performance and somewhat of a long term reliabilty.

~Cali
Old 04-07-2006, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
Originally Posted by CaliE320
You might want to upgrade to Bilstein HD's.
I know everyone says to go with the bilstein sports, but will the HD's do instead? not looking for performance, just looks, but i don't want to change shocks every two years when i lower the car...
Old 04-07-2006, 11:57 AM

88 260 E
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
I know everyone says to go with the bilstein sports, but will the HD's do instead? not looking for performance, just looks, but i don't want to change shocks every two years when i lower the car...

The Bilstein HD's are made alot stiffer and stronger then the stock shocks.
I suggested that for his case because he won't be able to run shorter sport shocks with-out rubbing issues on his particular set-up. The HD's will give a harsher ride but in the long run last longer then his stock's.

The best 3 lowering options IMO are

1) Vogtland sport springs or H & R springs w/ Koni adjustables (Koni adjustables are $$$$$)
2) Vogtland sport springs w/ Bilstein sports
3) H & R springs w/ Bilstein sports
4) H & R springs w/ Bilstein comfies or HD

~Cali
Old 04-07-2006, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Any one ever seen some shackles that go on the springs to limit the rebound? I went to a junk yard and saw these on the suspension of a 300e. They look like spring compressors on each side?....I was thinking of gettin them for my car??..

Heyy!!! were's eibach!! lol just kidding ben...Well i couldn't have said it better about the 19s...Well eibach springs with bilstein hd shocks are not that harsh because of the softer spring...h&r with bilstein HD...now that's a stiff ride.

I have koni adjustables on my mustang and the ride is better than my mercedes but i have big front and rear sway bars also a tower brace with a monte carlo bar and sub frame connectors to make the frame stiff. Im running really stiff 650lbs springs that lower it about 1 1/2 inches. I wish they had all this for my benz..
Old 04-07-2006, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
i'm having trouble locating bilstein sports at a reasonable price, so maybe i should go with the H&R's with the normal bilsteins??

i've seen those shackle things you're talking about, but i hard they are dangerous because they are under a lot of tension, and if they snap while youre driving at speed, they can cause some problems... i think civic people use them instead of buying lowering springs...
Old 04-07-2006, 04:21 PM

88 260 E
Zed - what prices are you getting? They range from $350 - 450 for all four Bilstein sports.

Don't opt for regular Bilsteins if you're lowering your car. Especially with H&R's you'll encounter a harsher ride then if you were to pay the extra $$ for the sports.. I only suggested that HUGO at least upgrade to HD's in his case because with his 19's he won't be able to use the shorter sports unless he rolls his fenders and maybe a spacer kit. He'll blow out his stock shocks soon, trust me on that...Not to burst your buble HUgo cuzz your ride looks sweet but not practical for long term.. You could always just roll your fenders & add the spacer kit later ,that's up to you. But Zed I would definitely wait a lil bit longer and save the money and do it right the first time. YOu won't regret it....

*YNVD - hahah I know you have the Eibachs but you know I had that set-up before. Not to say they're not good springs but IMO they really do not compare with Vogtlands and H&R s. That's from first hand experience. I encountered camber issues as well as many other Eibach users on their
W124s and to be honest with that kind of money for just 1/2" - 3/4 drop I'd rather go with Vogtlands or H&Rs. Take Chris's ride for a spin at the next meet, you'll see what I mean. The difference is enormorous....

~Cali
Old 04-07-2006, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
Cali,
thanks a lot for the info... the best price i'm finding for the sports is at or above 500 for the set! if i found some for 350 i would buy them yesterday... if you know of any sources let me know!!! thanks again though, appreciate the help, for real.

Hugo, sorry for the thread hijack my man...
Old 04-07-2006, 06:11 PM

88 260 E
Yeah the Bilstein sports can get pricey. Koni adjustables were around $700 - 800.

I sent you a pm on the info you needed..Good Luck And HUGO nice car just wanted to get the right info across to everybody else

~Cali
Old 04-07-2006, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Well the problem chris dosen't have and i do is that he's not married and dosen't have a wife that like to put a sh#$ load of crap in the trunk so that's why...I would go with a lower setup but i don't want it to rub when it's FULLY loaded. Also when i install my sound system that's gonna be another 100+lbs in the trunk so i was thinking about just lowering the front with smaller bump pads.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:30 PM
X03

MB 1990 300E
I've also been searching around for some shocks/springs and as for the bilstein HD's and koni's this site has it for 430.30 (bilsteins) I think chris got his vogtland/bilstein HDs through TWS. I'm not sure for how much though.
http://www.eshocks.com/bil_veh.asp?M...cedes&Manf=All
Old 04-09-2006, 02:48 AM

"88 300CE- First Year Production
just finished my spring install today and it wasn't easy with the last rear spring on a sideways sloped street. I have 18's with 235/40 in the rear and 225/35 in the front and yes I run staggered rims. I found out that my front rims are 8.5" and rears are 9.5" wide. Everything is cool looking and as low as I want them but there is a problem, I should have at least rolled my rear fenders first. The inner edge of the rear fender does rub on the tire, but if I can get them rolled (first thing after I get the car going) I can get away with it. I will eventually need to roll my front fenders too. And now I see very stiff springs are a must for me as I don't have alot of room to jiggle left and right. As the link posted before this one it explained the difference in bilsteins firmness with different shocks and I now understand that I need bilstein sports.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:28 PM

Damn, go away for a few days and look what happens!

Cali, This is the first Merc i've owned, not the first car i've owned and modified. I don't believe an older shock will lower the hight of the car. The only thing it will do is allow a bit more travel (giving it that spongy feel).

As far as I can tell, the ride hasn't changed much at all since putting the new springs in. (every day driving that is). The springs are custom made, Not cut.. I've still got the original springs in the boot. Im not too stressed on the performance side of things.. If I was - I wouldn't have got a E220!

No doubt my original shocks will ***** themselves soon enough, and when they do ill upgrade them then.. Will my wheels still fit with no rubbing? Suck it & see!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
That's the thing about mbworld if you make a thread about a bulb you end up talking about spark plugs...lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My E220 - with 19's