E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Engine Overheating Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Overheating Issues

Hello all.

I just hoped that perhaps someone could give me advise on my W124-E200-1989.

I've been having this problem the last fortnight or so. This is what happens:

1) Usually my car temp. gauge reading is just over 80 degrees Celc. One evening, as I was driving, I noticed my temp. gauge shooting up above the 100 degree mark and in between the 100 and 120 range. I pulled over immediately, waited for engine to cool down and added some water to my radiator.

2) When I was driving back home that same evening, I noticed each time I was on the freeway, my temp would go back to normal and it was only when I stopped at traffic lights or behind traffic that my temp. started shooting up again.

3) Next day was a Sunday, so couldn't go to mechanics anywhere. Decided to drive the car around, and go really slow at places to see if temp was going up, but temp seemed to be stable.

4) Next few days of driving around, the temp. seemed stable but the radiator warning light comes on and off intermittenly. Then first it was faint, and now, the light is brighter.

5) Day before last, the temp. problem came back and when I was at a traffic light, the temperature shoots up again.

6) A point which may or may not be relevant: I realised when I'm driving, the engine oil gauge is steady at the 3 mark. However, when I stop at traffic lights, the oil gauge meets keeps flickering between the 2 and 3 mark rapidly. Does this mean anything?

I will be really grateful for all help, advise and feedback!

Once again, many thanks everyone!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
Turn up the heater when this happneds and check the temp. Also make sure your aux fans are working properly.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:47 AM

1991 300E
have you noticed any coolant loss? If you added coolant but your resevoir is now low again, then you are loosing coolant somewhere. Check your hoses and the area around the water pump for leaks. If you have no coolant leaks then I would look at the aux fans. Water pumps normally start leaking or just up and quit, not very common for them to work intermitently.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:07 AM

300E 3.2 DOHC 24v
well if ur not losing coolant, and ur radiator is working everynow and then, i would say that u have an air pocket in the radiator.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:05 PM

1993 300CE Sportline
oil gauge reading

you said:
6) A point which may or may not be relevant: I realised when I'm driving, the engine oil gauge is steady at the 3 mark. However, when I stop at traffic lights, the oil gauge meets keeps flickering between the 2 and 3 mark rapidly. Does this mean anything?

That range is very normal. When the engine is cold the gauge should be pegged at the 3 (3 Bars, and I think a Bar is about 15 psi) since the oil is cold and thiicker creating higher presures. Once warmed up the oil thins and at idle 2 Bar is perfectly fine, on a hot day or after a long hot freeway drive it can drop to between 1 and 2 bars. The gauge should be a steady reading, not flickering, unless your air conditioning compressor cycles on and off at a rapid pace. When it cycles or turns on the idle increases and the oil pressure increases, your oil gauge will move higher.
So the answer to your question: Does this mean anything? Nope.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
I would check for leaks first. If that's not the issue, check your thermostat, aux fan and pump.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:38 PM

W124
Look at your oil too and see if its milky in color. If it is, it might be a head gasket which may explain the loss of your coolant. If it isn't then check what CL500 mentioned.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:57 PM

thanks for all the advise guys!

thanks everybody. I will be checking for leaks first, and see what happens next.

I was informed by a friend, that it may be my waterpump, but I'll do a complete check and then let you guys know what the issue was.

Again, many thanks, and if anyone has any more input, it'll be well appreciated!

Best regards.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Check to see if your cooling fan is coming on , is it electric? or is it belt driven .If your fan is belt driven then you need to see if your clutch is working properly( it should engage when engine is hot and it should be free wheeling when engine is cool ) be sure that you are checking this with the engione off!! If your fan is electric then see if it comes on ornot and see if it's spinning fast enough too.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:39 AM

it is the waterpump

hello all,

today, i added water/coolant to the radiator tank, then started the engine and noticed that water was dripping, albeit slowly, from the water pump area. so i suspect a slow leaking waterpump which i will sort out at the mechanic's on Monday. Will let u guys know of the outcome.

Thanks again for all the help and advise!!