E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

cost to bleed brake system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 300CE Sportline
cost to bleed brake system

What's it cost to have the brake system bleed/flushed? It used to be a DIY process, but with ABS brakes you need to pressurize the system while bleeding. i'm not interested. I believe it should be done every 3 years.
Remember on the older cars you were under the car and your wife or girlfriend was in the drivers seat? I never could figure out why it was so difficult for the "driver", the person who only had to follow my simple directions: push the brake pedal down, okay, now let it come up. Down, up and then down, up. Geez! Divorce court.
The good old simple days.
kurt
Old 04-25-2006, 01:08 PM

W124
Actually, you should do it everytime you do anything do your brake system. The tool costs around 40 bucks and it has a ton of uses other than bleeding brakes and is actually easier than the old school "pump method" of bleeding brakes but if you insist on having a mechanic do it, I think he'd charge you about an hour worth of labor.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Almost a Member!

$45

I took mine to local break service place. They charge me $45. The place is called Golden Rule Brake. They have good experince with MB Break system. Guess how much dealer quate me for the same job...$152. Make sure you go to local break shop that has experince with MB.
Attached Thumbnails cost to bleed brake system-00_4.jpg  
Old 04-28-2006, 04:32 PM

1993 300CE Sportline
$45...$152...$85...huh?

"""I took mine to local break service place. They charge me $45. The place is called Golden Rule Brake. They have good experince with MB Break system. Guess how much dealer quote me for the same job...$152. Make sure you go to local break shop that has experince with MB."""

Yikes! What a shame it is so much more, I mean, its not even in the same ballpark. I just checked w/ my local dealer here in WA state and he quoted $85. and they said they would like to have 3 hours available w/ the car. His point was I may not want to wait. Obviously they use only MB brake fluid, the reason I mention this is I remember reading that MB uses something between Dot 4 and Dot 5 (?) did not know of such a spec, but I'm finding out there are alot of unusual "specs" for our cars.
kurt
Old 04-30-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Most of the reading I've done on MB forums tells me most owners bleed the brakes themselves without activating the ABS system. It does help to activate the ABS system after bleeding by hard stopping on slippery roads. When activated, what little old fluid was left in the ABS system get moved around and diluted with the new fluid.

The MB dealer sells brake fluid called DOT 4+. Any DOT 4 fluid from your local auto supply house should be fine.