E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

E320 climate control unit/mono valve burns out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E320
Angry E320 climate control unit/mono valve burns out!

Hello, i'm new to this site! very good posts around!

1994 E320 Sedan

Few days ago when driving (without a/c) suddenly the a/c start blowing hot air! and smells like burning cables!, then smoke comes out of the climate control unit and the hood!.....

The mono valve was leaking coolant and apparently makes a short-circuit...

And the car has always the heater on!

So, the mono valve was leaking i read some posts and after 4 days i found the mono valve in ebay and replace it.

the problem persist! so i remove the climate control unit and found it almost burned and melted! (the mono valve short-circuit afected the unit)
I read that the bosch climate control units are "short-circuit proof" but not in this case! It costs a lot of money (around 230-260), so i'm thinking of disconnect it until i have the money!

Someone knows any contraindication of that?

I dont know about the mono-valve regulating the coolant, because the valve is left open and the coolant is always circulating inside the heater system?

Also maybe other things burns out too! (the electronic blower regulator, recirculation switch, sensors, etc...)

what can i do for now?

worst of all i think that all was originated 3 weeks ago, I change my battery in walmart and I think that maybe the person who change it hit the mono-valve accidentally but... how can I prove it!, of course the mono valve was old and the rubbers inside were cracked and destroyed but maybe that was the cause.

Thanks for your opinions!
Old 05-19-2006, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 300E
Your problem might have been a short caused by the wiring harness. We all know how crappy they are on M104 cars.