E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Turn signal issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E320
Turn signal issues

Hi friends,
I search the W124 boards for blinker or turn signal issues, and was unable to find anything that remotely describes the issue I'm facing.
For the funny folks, I did check for blinker fluid

The issue is as follows with my 1994 E320:
When I turn my car on, I drive off, and turn signals work fine. Usually after using the turn signal stalk a few times, for turning or changing lanes, the turn signals stop working. No light on dash, and no blinker sound, nothing. Both sides, the same. If I move stalk down to turn left, or move stalk up to turn right, the turn signal system is dead.
Interesting thing is that after a while it comes back, and turn signal system works again. And eventually stops working. So it goes off an on like that, between working and not working.

I own an Audi, where there is a known issue with the turn signal relay, when it goes bad, it basically makes the turn signal behave similarly as described. However, with the Benz, I have not checked if the hazards work when the turn signals are not.

Has anyone experienced this issue? I am ready to bring it to the dealership for troubleshooting, however if I know what needs to be done, I can simply do the work myself, depending on difficulty level.

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
I had the same problem om my '94 E320 couple of years ago, except the hazard flasher would also quit along with the turn signals. In my case it was cold soldering inside the turn signal relay. The relay is located inside the fuse panel under the hood, you would have to take the top of the panel off. There are few relays in there, I took the top of the panel off while the turn signal was clicking, it allowed me to locate the right relay. I then pulled it out and took it apart. While carefully instecting all the slodering joints I quickly found the hairline crack in one of them. After re-soldering the connection the problem was fixed.

Hope it helps.
The following users liked this post:
95_Wagon (06-25-2020)
Old 05-22-2006, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by Arnie
I had the same problem om my '94 E320 couple of years ago, except the hazard flasher would also quit along with the turn signals. In my case it was cold soldering inside the turn signal relay. The relay is located inside the fuse panel under the hood, you would have to take the top of the panel off. There are few relays in there, I took the top of the panel off while the turn signal was clicking, it allowed me to locate the right relay. I then pulled it out and took it apart. While carefully instecting all the slodering joints I quickly found the hairline crack in one of them. After re-soldering the connection the problem was fixed.

Hope it helps.

man, it's answers like this that make car forums worthwhile...
Old 05-22-2006, 09:44 PM

1994 E320
struck out on the fuse

I checked the fuse, and it looks good, and soldering on the connector good as well. Even tried a different fuse.
The issue appeared again, and I tried the horn, which both seem to be tied to fuse number 6, however turn signals did not work, yet the horn was fine.

Must continue to check. Probably going to the dealer to get it looked at. No turn signals is a dangerous thing.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:57 PM

W202 C280
turn signal issue related

Hi, my car is not W124 but W202 and I have windsceen wiper problem related to trun signal. whenever I trun right signal, the wiper start moving by itself.
Has anyone experienced the similar thing?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:36 AM

1995 c220 auto
Hi,Kirin,
I think your fault is probably a short circuit inside the combination switch on the steering column, the only way you can check this is by fitting another switch which is known to work properly.
Cheers, Geo.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:57 PM

08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
I don't think you read my earlier reply. If the horn works and it is on the same fuse with the turn signal, it is even more likely that you have the turn signal relay problem.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:28 AM

1994 E320
Update

Thanks Arnie for the feedback. In the Audi that I have the hazard relay is actually behind the hazard button, thus in attempting to compare the issue between Audi and Benz, I may have mis-understood.

Well, I was unable to find any crack on the soldering as Arnie had mentioned. Decided to take the car to the dealership for a quick look. They did replace a relay (part number 201-821-01-47). Unsure exactly where this relay was replaced at. Must check the fuse box again.

So far all is working, given it was a $161 part.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:57 AM

93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
Not sure if the lectrics on the 320 and 420 are simular but I had problem with the turn sigs and wiper !! I located the wiper relay and it seems there is some kind of weak contact where the relay plugs in. When I pushed down on the relay both the wipers and turn sigs worked! I made me a small cardbaord block to lay on top of the relay and when I snapped down the lid to the box it help push it down in place! Been like that for more than a year now! Also you may want to get some contact cleaner and snap off that little panel by the stalk and shoot some contact cleaner up into the switch. Things might just be dirty!!

Smokie
Old 12-10-2008, 06:43 PM

1994 W124 E320, 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport
Originally Posted by nene
Hi friends,
The issue is as follows with my 1994 E320:
When I turn my car on, I drive off, and turn signals work fine. Usually after using the turn signal stalk a few times, for turning or changing lanes, the turn signals stop working. No light on dash, and no blinker sound, nothing. Both sides, the same. If I move stalk down to turn left, or move stalk up to turn right, the turn signal system is dead.
Interesting thing is that after a while it comes back, and turn signal system works again. And eventually stops working. So it goes off an on like that, between working and not working.
I've got the same problem. The signal usually fails when I need to cross 5 lanes of traffic to reach an exit. I've noticed that the Rear Defroster and Hazard are also affected. Hopefully I can use the info in this thread as a starting point for my Mechanic and I to fix this EXTREMELY frustrating problem.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'16 E350 ‘07 S550 ‘21 GLE580
Originally Posted by kermynator
I've got the same problem. The signal usually fails when I need to cross 5 lanes of traffic to reach an exit. I've noticed that the Rear Defroster and Hazard are also affected. Hopefully I can use the info in this thread as a starting point for my Mechanic and I to fix this EXTREMELY frustrating problem.
See this tread, I just responded to it. The poster is having the same problem.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ge-wipers.html
Old 12-11-2008, 01:35 PM

1995 E 420
its the combination relay... at least for me it was..
Old 06-25-2020, 07:13 PM

1995 Wagon W124
Blinker/ Hazzard inoperable

hi ! I am having the same exact issue and gonna try Arnie's thread on fixing this problem. But first, it stated awhile ago and worked fine then it stopped working and cane back working fine after a year until now it just stopped working. I noticed the front passenger parking lite worked except when on - only the signal and flasher worked not the parking light. And now this blinker/ hazard not working but like Arnie, the horn works.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
mercedes w123 260e
What are you getting if you push down on the hazard switch --do they work as they should . If so it will be the indecator stalk or earth in the column. .
Old 05-17-2021, 02:33 AM

1993 W124 E200 Diesel
Hi Guys
I'm a newbie here.
I drive a 1993 W124 E200 diesel. Today on my way to work, I noticed my turn signals had stopped working. I checked the hazards, wipers headlight flasher/dimmer they all work fine. Only the turn signals aren't working. I drove it 2 days ago and everything was fine.
Is it the combination relay or some other issue?
Hoping your collective wisdom would help me out here.
Thanks
Old 05-17-2021, 08:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
mercedes w123 260e
Kavin if your hazard lights work you can rule out the flasher unit .It could be the arm on the steering column for flasher and dipped beam .Just inspect all the fuses first in the fuse box .But its looking like the flasher arm switch is faulty I am sure its a faulty fuse in the fusebox

Last edited by Trevor Hadley; 05-17-2021 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:08 AM

1993 W124 E200 Diesel
Originally Posted by Trevor Hadley
Kavin if your hazard lights work you can rule out the flasher unit .It could be the arm on the steering column for flasher and dipped beam .Just inspect all the fuses first in the fuse box .But its looking like the flasher arm switch is faulty I am sure its a faulty fuse in the fusebox
Looks as if you are correct Trevor. I checked all the fuses, even swapped out the relay to eliminate it off the list. This only means I have to replace the arm. Anyway I am going to check the fuse box again.
Thank you!