E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Questions about 1991 300e Mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 300E
Lightbulb Questions about 1991 300e Mods

Hey everybody. I have a 1991 300e. I had a few questions about some intakes and what not. The wade performance products intakes range from $130 to $185 not including shipping. First, do those intakes actually help anything? Does the Stage 2 cold air intake (pictured) make more of a difference (if any) than the stage 1 intake (also pictured)? And secondly, what can I do to boost power (even a little bit) without spending that much money? Also, what tasteful mods do you recommend? I was thinking clear corners, chrome grill upgrade, amg emblems, etc? Perhaps HID bulbs? Anybody know what color my car is technically called? I wanted to get a lip spoiler, but I didn't know where to get it painted and put on. Does anybody know any Mercedes tuning places in/around Atlanta, GA?

Here are some pictures. I just took these and it's obviously dark but if you want some more, I'll take some. I don't know if that helps or anything. It was physically impossible for me to upload a fullsize picture to the site. So if you really want a fullsize picture for some reason, I'll email it to you. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Questions about 1991 300e Mods-26literstage12.jpg   Questions about 1991 300e Mods-100_0425a-393x252.jpg   Questions about 1991 300e Mods-100_0271.jpg   Questions about 1991 300e Mods-100_0272.jpg  

Last edited by rooney2006; 08-01-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:29 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124's
You can find all the answers to your question by using the search feature.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:09 AM

Rooney mate, sorry I cannot help in relation to your questions. I just want to ask you about something simple.

Do your front wheels hit the top of the fender lip? I had those wheels before and they do that and it annoyed me so much that I changed the wheels. However, I was told that the wheels should be OK with my car...
Old 08-02-2006, 02:41 AM

1991 300E
Originally Posted by jeffreyli86
Rooney mate, sorry I cannot help in relation to your questions. I just want to ask you about something simple.

Do your front wheels hit the top of the fender lip? I had those wheels before and they do that and it annoyed me so much that I changed the wheels. However, I was told that the wheels should be OK with my car...
They hit the sides more I think. But occasionally the top as well. Basically its a pain in the ***. And I think that eventually there could be some lasting damage. Actually my more recent post asks about this. Is there anything I can do to fix that?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:55 AM

E 320
Those intake kits are not good at all. Our goal in any motor is to get the coldest air we can to the intake. This will get the hottest and will make you lose power......not because of how its made but where the filter is. On my 104 I opened the end of the air box then ran ducting down to the frame under the bumper just going from a 3" opening to a 6" opening really made a difference. I am looking to make a small ram air setup to go behind the front air dam when I get the chance then run the tubing to the factory air box, then heat wrap the plastic tubing to the throttle body.

Brian
Old 08-02-2006, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by rooney2006
They hit the sides more I think. But occasionally the top as well. Basically its a pain in the ***. And I think that eventually there could be some lasting damage. Actually my more recent post asks about this. Is there anything I can do to fix that?
I've been running around with those wheels on my car for the past 8000miles and at the same time, I've been going around asking everyone what is best to do to eliminate the rubbing...

What I gathered was, although rolling the fender lips could eliminate rubbing to a certain extent, there is still a high probability that the wheels are going to rub if you eventually decide to drop the car (What I did.. ).

I must say that those wheels look absolutely awesome on the W124 but I chose to find myself a set of AMG wheels that fits perfectly.. I'm sure whether there is a way to use the wheels without a problem but I just didn't like the idea of hammering or rolling the fenders, since, it is somewhat changing the structure of the fender.. I'm weird I have to admit.

By the way, what size of tires are you running on the car? I ran 215/45/17 at the fronts (Bridgestone Potenza GIIIs) and didn't get any rub on the lower portion of the fender.. Only the top lip.. If you run maybe 225 it'll probably rub the lower portion as well

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 08-02-2006, 06:37 PM

1991 300E
Originally Posted by jeffreyli86
I've been running around with those wheels on my car for the past 8000miles and at the same time, I've been going around asking everyone what is best to do to eliminate the rubbing...

What I gathered was, although rolling the fender lips could eliminate rubbing to a certain extent, there is still a high probability that the wheels are going to rub if you eventually decide to drop the car (What I did.. ).

I must say that those wheels look absolutely awesome on the W124 but I chose to find myself a set of AMG wheels that fits perfectly.. I'm sure whether there is a way to use the wheels without a problem but I just didn't like the idea of hammering or rolling the fenders, since, it is somewhat changing the structure of the fender.. I'm weird I have to admit.

By the way, what size of tires are you running on the car? I ran 215/45/17 at the fronts (Bridgestone Potenza GIIIs) and didn't get any rub on the lower portion of the fender.. Only the top lip.. If you run maybe 225 it'll probably rub the lower portion as well

Cheers,
Jeff
I just have what the wheels came with... 235/45/17's. They are too big, I know. 215/45/17 is the way to go i believe.