E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Is mercedes E-class really more elegant and powerful campared to bmw 5 series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:03 PM
vix
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes E220 (w124)
i jus said the truth couz even a blind man would now mercs are better but i din't say bm's are **** either and its not question of being intelligent and full of knowleadge (i think everyone here is intelligent and full of knowlegde but still ask questions). And secondly what i am asking is for pples views so i can compare them with min.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:15 PM
vix
Almost a Member!

mercedes E220 (w124)
look at the difference
Attached Thumbnails Is mercedes E-class really more elegant and powerful campared to bmw 5 series-bmw-m5.jpg   Is mercedes E-class really more elegant and powerful campared to bmw 5 series-e320.jpg  
Old 08-20-2006, 03:19 PM

'95 3.2 M104
Originally Posted by vix
i jus said the truth couz even a blind man would now mercs are better but i din't say bm's are **** either and its not question of being intelligent and full of knowleadge (i think everyone here is intelligent and full of knowlegde but still ask questions). And secondly what i am asking is for pples views so i can compare them with min.
Intelligent? Doug...the truth is that I don't know what you do for a living but just 2 days ago you din't knew where to find a VIN# on your car.

Last edited by GORBETTTEAM; 08-20-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:41 PM

'92 300E
Lightbulb

BMW has a longer hisory of making sports sedans vs mercedes. Up until 15 years ago even Mercedes was more about building a well machined car and not a luxory car... same with BMW. Which is why today's bimers and benzos aren't as trusted as the ones built in the past. It wasn't until when Lexus came around and we saw cars that were plush, reliable, and had every modern immenity you could think of at the time... that's when the two german manufactuars started to make there change and trend into todays mercedes and bmw.

the new ones are about having it all: luxory, sport, and reliability. but the reason both the old BMWs and Mercs are better machines than todays models is because they only worried about one thing, strong german engineering. they had to compete with the japanese and now this is what we get.

back to the original question... what's better, BMW or Mercedes. I say neither. Depending on which class you're talking about one has a hand over the other. The New M5 is definitely the best in class, but I would take any CL over any of the Z's... if that is even a fair comparison. I'll give you another... the G class is much better then BMW's SUV. But, I would much rather drive a 330i then any C-Class Merc.

But you guys have to remember, BMW's are good enough to be compared to Mercedes. No other luxory car manufactuar I can think of, could even talk about being compared. Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Jaguar, all make me
Old 08-20-2006, 06:49 PM

'92 300E
Angry

Originally Posted by vix
i hope merc takes over bmw couz they got the money and teach's them how to make a proper car rather than jus ripping ppple of with itz crappy carz.

long live benz
Yes.. long live the Benz. But, that would be awful if Mercedes bought out BMW! Then we would lose another great car manufactuer to Chrysler!! F**K CHRYSLER! F**K MOPAR! AND F**K THEIR SH**TY *** TRANSMISSIONS!!!!

I'm sorry fellas, but Mercedes may be going on a slippery slope downwards after this merger. The only benefit that may come out of it, is chrysler might start making a decent car for the first time in 30 years! ask Dr Z. I'm down with the classic dodges, Charger and Challenger, but i can't trust a car that is looks like a bentley but is really a 300M with a Hemi and the same crappy *** transmission!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:19 AM
vix
Almost a Member!

mercedes E220 (w124)
true, i take my words back and thank all of u for answering my question.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Was 89' 300E, Now 93' 500SEL
Well there is a new mid-sized car out that is on top of the new E class and the 5 series. Its called Infiniti M45.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by hellah fresh
Well there is a new mid-sized car out that is on top of the new E class and the 5 series. Its called Infiniti M45.
i think the Q45 is more comparable. the new m45 is up there with the e55 amg and m5.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:02 PM

'92 300E
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jdmfiend
i think the Q45 is more comparable. the new m45 is up there with the e55 amg and m5.
the m45 does not compete. Not when the M5's 0-6 is 4.6 sec and the m45's is a full second longer. Face it 500 bhp is a big difference from m45's 335 bhp... and the M5 has a dominince in torque too, obviously. the only great car to come out of Nissan is the Skyline... And I hate how the new one looks! Trust me, I am waaaay down with Nismo!!

^now that is the only good car that nissan makes... but it is f**king awesome! I do give alot of credit to Nissan and Infiniti, they are making much better cars than they used to!

btw... the q45 is weak. for that money, a Benz E or S, BMW 5 or 7, or Caddilac DTS or even CTS, would be a much better choice for me.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Your ignoring the silvia, one of the best drifting cars ever. And the 300zx. AND the 240sx
Old 08-21-2006, 05:04 PM

'92 300E
The Skyline mangles both of those. There are very few smaller engines that can be suped up to 1000+ bhp. But, you're right, i did forget about the 300zx... it's a good car. My persian friend actually has one with twin turbos. pretty damn fast. personally, I'd rather have an old 911.

I hate 240sx's... my other persian friend (both named Shawn aka Shawheen!!!) has just finished rebuilding his from the ground up and it's still pusscakes. but, any "real" fan of nissan knows the Skyline ruins all! I hope to get one imported sometime. most of my friends happen to be into Japanese sports cars, as I love Euro... so we argue all the time about wich is better. I honestly hate 99% of the cars to ever come out of Japan. The only Japanese car I would ever buy would be a Nismo Skyline GTR... or maybe a suped up Supra.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by SNSMBZ W124
the m45 does not compete. Not when the M5's 0-6 is 4.6 sec and the m45's is a full second longer. Face it 500 bhp is a big difference from m45's 335 bhp... and the M5 has a dominince in torque too, obviously. the only great car to come out of Nissan is the Skyline... And I hate how the new one looks! Trust me, I am waaaay down with Nismo!!

^now that is the only good car that nissan makes... but it is f**king awesome! I do give alot of credit to Nissan and Infiniti, they are making much better cars than they used to!

btw... the q45 is weak. for that money, a Benz E or S, BMW 5 or 7, or Caddilac DTS or even CTS, would be a much better choice for me.
sure it may not be comparable in your eyes performace wise, but the m35 was tested along with the 540i and the m45 was with the m5 as far as comparision goes. i love the skyline too, but theres a lot of factors that come into play when comparing two cars.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Almost a Member!

I orignally wanted to get a V8 E34 5 series, didn't find a lot on the market at the time, and the only one I found was very expensive, so I settled for a 400E.
I've had a E38 740il before, so I know how good bimmers are, the benz is a much better highway car (I drive a lot of those) its probably 4 or 5 times more comfortable than the E38, but so so when it gets to a corner, oh also I like the benz cruise control more, as it is so simple to use, never really got the hand of BMW's cruise control. I love both marques and am looking to Audi these days, I'm usually open to all cars, but have to say, most american cars really dont do it for me. the best car out of the U.S. and it just feels so.....brittle and cheaply made. I know they can do better, just cant figure out why.

The new Ghosn-Nissan (as I like to call it) revolves around cheap products, which is something I really hate. I've always been a big fan of skylines (specially the older ones from the 90's and early 90's) and I'm very displeased to see nissan making it a luxo sedan rather than the sporty one it was (4 door turbo Rb25 skylines are just a beautiful way of transport). sure Nissan's always had cheapo interiors, but in a nice way, if you know what I mean.
Done ranting for now.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 PM

'92 300E
sure it may not be comparable in your eyes performace wise, but the m35 was tested along with the 540i and the m45 was with the m5 as far as comparision goes.
Which did the author or testers prefer?

i love the skyline too, but theres a lot of factors that come into play when comparing two cars.
I can definitley agree with that!

This whole forum is based on 3rd person opinion. I doubt any pf us here took a new 540i out on the track and then took an M5 on a track to... you know? But, we can all dream that we have!!
Old 08-22-2006, 02:30 AM

Which did the author or testers prefer?

I can definitley agree with that!

This whole forum is based on 3rd person opinion. I doubt any pf us here took a new 540i out on the track and then took an M5 on a track to... you know? But, we can all dream that we have!!
540i > m35
m5 > m45

Old 08-22-2006, 05:14 AM

'92 300E
540i > m35
m5 > m45

Well, duh! I thought we already went over that.

i like dem tail lights ya'll got. mighty perty!

Any who... I think we can both agree that there are great plus' and negatives when it comes to nissan... and that the Skyline is king of nissans. or maybe not.

But, I do want you to answer this question. Mr. Jdfiend (i'm actually wasted on jack as i speak... and i ain't lieing. woo hoo!!), if you had $55-65,000, would you really drop it on a nissan, or would you rather get something else? and if so, what?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Was 89' 300E, Now 93' 500SEL

Any who... I think we can both agree that there are great plus' and negatives when it comes to nissan... and that the Skyline is king of nissans. or maybe not.

But, I do want you to answer this question. Mr. Jdfiend (i'm actually wasted on jack as i speak... and i ain't lieing. woo hoo!!), if you had $55-65,000, would you really drop it on a nissan, or would you rather get something else? and if so, what?
If i had $55-65k i'd down pay and buy me the 07' BMW 6 series.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:48 AM

thats a bit of money. a lot of things would come into play. if i wanted a luxury car id get a used ls430 and do the junction produce conversion on it or get a used e55 amg and wald of course. i love themed cars. if it was a sports car itd be a slightly used nsx with a comptech supercharger, crazy rear diffuser and slammed. or also maybe a used porsche or ferarri depending on how the maintence runs. something such as a porsche 930 turbo. theres a lot of cars i want and hope to get one day. but knowing me, if i had 60k id buy a 30k car and tear it apart
Old 08-22-2006, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Call me a tool but for 60k Id probably want to get a c43 and tweak with it they are small, light, and decently fast factory, and also not that expensive!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
the real problem with BMW is interior quality. take a look at most any 2 - 6 year old bmw and the interior has parts where the covering is coming off. you can see this in lots of bmw made cars too like the Range Rover. The coating on the trim pieces of the center consoles, windows switches etc, all seem to suffer from this. other than that, I have no issues with a bmw.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Call me a tool...
You tool.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:31 PM

'92 300E
Originally Posted by ashman
the real problem with BMW is interior quality. take a look at most any 2 - 6 year old bmw and the interior has parts where the covering is coming off. you can see this in lots of bmw made cars too like the Range Rover. The coating on the trim pieces of the center consoles, windows switches etc, all seem to suffer from this. other than that, I have no issues with a bmw.
that's one thing, of many, that i love about these old mercs, they have the strongest and longest lasting interiors i have seen in any car! most american and japanese cars seem to never get it right... especially ford. if you touch anything the wrong way on the last generation mustangs, it'll pop right off! makes it easy to play with the wiring for a stereo or something, but the quality of the interior is very poor.

the only other car i have seen and can think of with a strong interior that would compare to an old Benzo would be a Jaguar S-Type, but what really sucks about Jag (besides the old ones randomly catching fire), is there is no damn leg room! even in the XJ's it's hard to fit 4 full size adults... but I guess that's something the brits are used to.

and to give you BMW haters some fuel for your fire, I almost died in one! Back in '98 my mother was driving me to school in a '95 5-Series and as we pulled into the school, out of nowhere, flames started shooting out from underneith the glove box!! it was intense, I jumped out of the car and within seconds, the whole car was engulfed in flames! windows bursting, leather burning, plastic melting... it was insane!! Turned out to be a fault in the A/C wiring. But I still appreciate a sick BMW when I see one... weird huh?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:36 PM

'92 300E
theres a lot of cars i want and hope to get one day. but knowing me, if i had 60k id buy a 30k car and tear it apart

i would probably do the same thing... get an old 911 and just totally rebuild the damn thing. add and replace parts with more modern performance parts.
and wreck the f**k out of other cars!