E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Help PLEASE!! Major electrical problem 94 E420

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E420
Help PLEASE!! Major electrical problem 94 E420

The starter will not engage. The ABS and ASR and Battery Light are on, Sometimes the check engine light but not always. The red light is on the Traction button on the dash but goes off if I depress the brake with the key on.
The security system will not arm when the doors are locked. There is a ticking coming from the white relay behind the fuse box. (The really long white one).
All this started after an uneventful evening ride!. I pulled into the garage and noticed that the alarm system did not engage. I turned the key on and discovered all this and the starter will not engage. 2 times in the last 2 weeks, the starter would not engage, but I simply got out locked the doors and unlocked the doors and the starter would engage. That does not work this time.
Help Please!!!!
Many Thanks,
Bill

UPDATE and additional HINT.
All the above problems still persist, but, While holding the key in the crank position (no cranking of course), I moved the steering wheel in and out with the electrical control and it passed a point where the engine cranked and started. I backed out of the garage at which point the ABA and ASR light came back on. I pulled it back into the garage and shut it off. I have not been able to crank it again. Is there a sensor in the steering column?
Thanks,
Bill

UPDATE:

I noticed that I had no brake lights. Checked the fuse and it appeared intact, but when I removed it I could see that it was not. Put a new fuse in and all is well. I now have brake lights and my car starts. My entire car was shut down for lack of brake lights. Fixed now though, all dash lights are as they should be and the security system arms as it should. Pretty cheap fix!

Bill

Last edited by Bucyrus; 08-27-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by Bucyrus
The starter will not engage. The ABS and ASR and Battery Light are on, Sometimes the check engine light but not always. The red light is on the Traction button on the dash but goes off if I depress the brake with the key on.
The security system will not arm when the doors are locked. There is a ticking coming from the white relay behind the fuse box. (The really long white one).
All this started after an uneventful evening ride!. I pulled into the garage and noticed that the alarm system did not engage. I turned the key on and discovered all this and the starter will not engage. 2 times in the last 2 weeks, the starter would not engage, but I simply got out locked the doors and unlocked the doors and the starter would engage. That does not work this time.
Help Please!!!!
Many Thanks,
Bill

UPDATE and additional HINT.
All the above problems still persist, but, While holding the key in the crank position (no cranking of course), I moved the steering wheel in and out with the electrical control and it passed a point where the engine cranked and started. I backed out of the garage at which point the ABA and ASR light came back on. I pulled it back into the garage and shut it off. I have not been able to crank it again. Is there a sensor in the steering column?
Thanks,
Bill

UPDATE:

I noticed that I had no brake lights. Checked the fuse and it appeared intact, but when I removed it I could see that it was not. Put a new fuse in and all is well. I now have brake lights and my car starts. My entire car was shut down for lack of brake lights. Fixed now though, all dash lights are as they should be and the security system arms as it should. Pretty cheap fix!

Bill
I'm afraid to say it, as they are dreadful words but I'm afraid you may be in need of a new Engine wiring harness

My car (how ironic) has decided not to turn over as of friday, due to a marvelous faulty 18 year old starter

Old 08-28-2006, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Ive heard nightmare stories abot that wiring harness. I wish you well!
Old 08-28-2006, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
You'll know if you need a new harness because your wires will be disintegrating all over the place. Just look under your hood until you see wires, if the copper is exposed because the insulation is crumbling off, then you're pretty well f@cked.

I hope that's not it.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
Get under the hood and CHECK EVERY FUSE!! in the fuse box drivers side firewall! Sounds like what was going on with my 95 E420! One of the fuses had a hairline break which I could hardly see! I mean just about everthing on that car quit working! So lookem over real good!

Smokie
Old 08-29-2006, 03:21 AM
X03

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 1990 300E
hmm wow nice tip smokie, looks like you fixed it
Old 08-29-2006, 03:03 PM

1994 White an Grey E320 "Shado"
Cheap an Perfect Solution

Glad you were able to fix your problem.

I just recently aquired my w124 and am having some probs (engine shutdown while at speed or at a traffic light and also while radio is on) also will be checking my fuses also and buying an extra set before I head down south.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:20 PM

I will agree that the engine wiring harness on those 124's are problems. I have had a nightmare story with mine. Instead of replacing the whole harness, I am going to make wiring repairs to that harness while my engine is removed. This is can a good solution to a common problem. Now, I work for MB but couldnt do this on a customer car.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:33 AM

1995 E420 Black
whats up everyone i own a 95 e420 with about 78,xxx miles on it.. its never had the wiring harness replaced and i'm starting to think its about time! (experenceing rough idles, cutting out and dying when i give gas) my question is how do i know/check if my harness is anygood? i've looked under my hood and only wire i can find that was cracked was a brown wire under my air box cover. ( i've included a picture ) do i need to splice into some of these wires to see if the wire within is cracked?! please help!!