E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Have to Choose: Headlight Eyebrows or Wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1992 Mercedes 400E
Have to Choose: Headlight Eyebrows or Wipers

As most of you know, I retrofitted HID projectors on my car, courtesy of Rik's post at www.2phast.com/500e . The Eagle Eye light units that we both used are actually for 94-95 cars, so with our earlier cars, these lights leave a gap between the inboard edges of the lights and the vertical sides of the grille (Pic #1). While the gap doesn't bother me, I did order some "Headlight Eyebrows" off an Ebay seller in England to fill in the gap (Pic #2). I have them painted Brilliant Silver, courtesy of Tower Paint, so they actually do look better on the car than in the seller's photo. However, it could be fun to get them to stay on, as the headlight surface is curved in all planes, whereas the "eyebrow" is flat. The seller says to use silicone - my feeling right now is, good luck in getting them to stay on at 95mph - er, I mean, 55 mph. If I'm serious in getting them to stay on, I probably have to use JB -Weld or some other epoxy-based glue, which could also ruin the headlight lenses.

The second problem is that with the eyebrows (hopefully) on, the '94-'95 wipers will not work - they will interfere with each other. So, unless I modify the wiper arms, it looks like I have to choose between eyebrows or wipers, but not both.

Or I can just leave the car as is.

Any comments?
Attached Thumbnails Have to Choose: Headlight Eyebrows or Wipers-gap.jpg   Have to Choose: Headlight Eyebrows or Wipers-02_1_b.jpg.jpg   Have to Choose: Headlight Eyebrows or Wipers-frontshot.jpg  

Last edited by natural_person; 08-30-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
I have the same eyebrow spoilers I just got mine today! I was going to install them on the OEM housing because, you know, its crappy housing so Im not too concerned about ruining them If I ever do get a new housing, I would also like to get the spoilers. I was thinknig about not attaching them to the housing but somehow to the hood and the outside of the grille. Whats your take on that>?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1992 Mercedes 400E
Saijin, I can't see how you're going to attach them to the hood or the side of the grille. Did you see how thin the plastic is? But gluing yours onto your OEM lights should be OK, being glass. Match the paint first. BTW, the Tower Paint spray can doesn't say how long to wait for the paint to cure before spraying on the clearcoat - so I called them - the nice lady said "wait 5-7 days".
Old 08-31-2006, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
I was actually going to leave them black I think...
Old 08-31-2006, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is a German Tank
Originally Posted by natural_person
Saijin, I can't see how you're going to attach them to the hood or the side of the grille. Did you see how thin the plastic is? But gluing yours onto your OEM lights should be OK, being glass. Match the paint first. BTW, the Tower Paint spray can doesn't say how long to wait for the paint to cure before spraying on the clearcoat - so I called them - the nice lady said "wait 5-7 days".

Thats going to be really interesting if no elbow greace or a little bit of imagination is put into those (in Saij's case -leaving them primer black) but he cannot glue those to his DOT (Saying DOT makes me gag a little) headlights, so unless he already has or is just gonna sit around and wait for his lights (if he ever makes up his mind on which ones to buy) then he's pretty much a sitting duck for the moment...

Saij - I say paint them to color them to match