E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Those Great Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Those Great Fog Lights

I must say, the 300E's have the best darn fog lamps in any car I have EVER seen. I can drive with only the yellows at night and see pretty well. (I usually don't do this though)

The problem is the white lights. They suck. I know people were buying those euro headlamps, but I was wondering if those great fog lamps were still on the euro headlamps? If so, thats my next big expense on the car.

Also, I manually wired rear fog lamps in my 300E (they are just red and on the tips near the center). I had them hooked to a switch on my cigarette lighter. Pretty stupid. I was wondering if anyone knows how to do a better job of installing rear fog lamps. They look a lot nicer! (In Europe, when you pull the light thing out all the way, it turns on the front and rear fog lights).

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2002, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300TE
If you can find a pair of 500E lamps that might be the way to go. Plus, they look SO much better.

Carl
Old 09-18-2002, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Hi Chubber,
the EURO headlights come with integrated fog lights. You may try EBAY auctions to find them good priced. Concerning the rear fog light I would think (but I dont know for sure) that DB is using the same wire harness and the same switches for the US-exports as for the domestic cars, so the connection for the rear fog light shall be wired into the rear light assembly, and the light switch may also carry the contact for the fog light. But remember in Europe the rear fog light is only installed to the driver side, to differentiate between brake lights and fog light.
The light switch (in Europe) has 2 pull positions 1=front fog lights, 2=front fog lights+rear fog light. Best source for European lights and switches could be Canada since the Can-specs always accepted European lights, even the US-specs did not in the past years. I once bought Euro lights in Canada (1990) when they were not available in the US.
If you would need a European wiring diagram of the lights to compare with yours let me know.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
260E , 1989 (for now)
Canadian Mercedes always had the same lighting system as the US Mercedes. (no EuroLights, no rear for lights).
I replaced my front lights with Eurotype and it makes a world of difference.
Buying EuroLights in Canada is still possible for our US based friends and they come out cheaper because of the terrible (for us) exchange rate.
JackD