E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 08:51 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124's
Speaker & Grill Question

Okay, So I know this topic has been talked about but I'm king and too lazy to search. I'll just have this deleted after I find out the info I need.

Anyways, What size speakers are all of you running in your doors?

I wanna buy everything before I pick up my car which is soon by the way so when I get it ... It can go straight to the shop and have everything installed.

I'm thinking about running components. Placing the speakers in the doors and the tweeters in the dash. Unless someone has a better recommendation for better sound. Anyways, Let me know fellas!

Also, Where can I pick up a good quailty Avantegarde grill for the 94-95 hood? I need one which can be repainted so let me know about that as well!

Matt, Brett, Ryan and the others .. you guys are LOL!

Last edited by CDP; 09-16-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:48 PM

Range Rover Classic
Did you end up with a E400 or?
Old 09-16-2006, 11:18 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
E420 to be exact.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:39 PM

Range Rover Classic
Congratulations What colour combination?

Whats your prospective mod list look like? I'd also like to get a Avantegarde grill. It appears the most cost effective option is the one that Maxtrixcar.de sells, I think its 130 USD shipped. BlueCoupe/Barnstormer suggested I get intouch with the guys who did the work on his Coupe to see what they used. I've yet to do that. The issue is that most people complain the grills are pretty flimsy.

With the low geared differential I've found the 420 never ever gets into powerband. Its as if the car has a bug in throat, pausing a moment, before it takes off. You can alleviate it by dropping into 2nd with automatic shifter but changing to a 2.82 or 2.65 is the only real solution. I'm planning on '17 inch wheels so I'll go with the 2.82.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
6.5" in the doors and the tweeters in the dash.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
99 ML 320, 97 Porsche 993 C2S, 92 300E
See link for photo of my dash tweeter install.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ghlight=boston
Old 09-17-2006, 03:23 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Originally Posted by Eliot
Congratulations What colour combination?

Whats your prospective mod list look like? I'd also like to get a Avantegarde grill. It appears the most cost effective option is the one that Maxtrixcar.de sells, I think its 130 USD shipped. BlueCoupe/Barnstormer suggested I get intouch with the guys who did the work on his Coupe to see what they used. I've yet to do that. The issue is that most people complain the grills are pretty flimsy.

With the low geared differential I've found the 420 never ever gets into powerband. Its as if the car has a bug in throat, pausing a moment, before it takes off. You can alleviate it by dropping into 2nd with automatic shifter but changing to a 2.82 or 2.65 is the only real solution. I'm planning on '17 inch wheels so I'll go with the 2.82.

Thanks for the information! It's Black with the dark grey lower panels. It's going to be painted and color matched to the car though.

Anyways, is there anymore information you can share in regards to the E420?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:59 PM

Range Rover Classic
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
Thanks for the information! It's Black with the dark grey lower panels. It's going to be painted and color matched to the car though.

Anyways, is there anymore information you can share in regards to the E420?
I have the same scheme, 040 Black with Gray Body Cladding. Hopefully I'll be able to work out a body kit with Albert and go for a straight 040 look (albiet with the chrome grill and accents, not monotone).

As for the 420... not much else to report. Some body roll, you may want to swap in the torsion bars from an E500 or if your willing to spend then the Renntech version. Its possible to update the suspension with the AMG E60 non SLS kit (probably 3,000 shipped from AMG.) You could also do a E420 Sportline conversion, essential the E500 suspension depending on the presence of SLS. If you don't have it then the rear uses sportline springs/shocks while the front uses the 500 kit. There will be camber issues asociated with lowering the car. There was a sportline steering box for the 420, don't know if its still available. It would be pretty rare. The 420 used a 2.65 geared differential in Europe paired with 16 inch 8 holes. Compare to the E500 which had 2.82 and (I believe) 17x8.5 wheels.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:56 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Yeah, I really don't like the gray body cladding. Everything on the car will be color matched and blacked out.

I was looking into E500 front and rear sway bars. I got a quote from my buddy at the dealership and I can get both of them along with all the accessories such as the brackets and what not for around $600. Is that a good price? Can you elaborate more on the AMG E60 non SLS kit??? I'm going to be ordering speedybenz rear bars for the camber issues.

Anyways, thanks for the information again! Let me know if there is anything else.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:29 PM

Range Rover Classic
From GSXRs invaluable repository of info

AMG Suspension

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...ersion_Std.pdf

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...ersion_SLS.pdf

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...conversion.pdf

Swaybars

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...bar_prices.pdf

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/...ybar_specs.pdf

The Renntech is the largest Torsion Bar available but it costs 560 USD. If and when - I think I'll go for the E500 kit instead. Don't think I've ever read what the 420 Sportline used, probably the same as the 500.

Last edited by Eliot; 09-17-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

let me chime in on the sway bars before i get to the speakers.

i say drive the car first, and establish whether the understeer (its bound to be there) is ok, marginal, or horrible. then make your decision based on that.

on the 300E i find it to be marginal, so upgrading just the rear bar would work to even it out. but i prefer a hint of understeer. it shows up as stability when you're really hammering down the freeway.

-----------------

speakers. i would suggest getting a 6 inch component set, 4.50s for the front and 5.25s for the rear. mount the woofers for the component set in the door, mount the tweeter in the mirror covers in the A pillar, smaller speakers in front, larger speakers in rear. obviously, installing non OEM speakers is going to mean some slight cutting to make the install easy.

another way is to gut the OE speakers, and use the speaker mounts themselves to mount your speakers; just reinstall them and screw your speakers onto them. you get the OE look using OE items. less cutting involved.

im sure i dont need to remind you to rewire it.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:07 PM

Range Rover Classic
Differential Swap pictorial - http://www.tom.actionfit.com/2_82_Differental_Swap.html