E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Big Problem, need help if you can

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36 AMG, 2013 Dodge Dart Turbo 6spd
Big Problem, need help if you can

Hey guys, last night i was cleaning out my engine bay, got the car back to my buddies place and went inside, came out later to find that my car would not start...

After a bit, we got the car to start, but as soon as i went to put it into drive, it caughed sputtered and died... I also noticed that when it was idleing at that time, the Oil pressure guage was sitting right at the no. 3 mark and slowly came down.

So we left the car overnight and came back to it this morning, got it to start on the second try and let it idle for a few minutes, just as it was settleing into a normal idle, it began to die again and bofre i could get in, it stalled... Now i'm faced with the same problem again of not being able to start it. When we go to start it the car tries to start the rpm neddle jumps up to 1000rpm then drops a few times.

Could it be a spark issue or could it be that the engine is flooded and needs to settle. Also if that is the case, then what would be the best thing to do once the car is started.

Any and all help would be greatly appretiated, as i am stuck about 1hr and 30mins from home right now and may have to get the car towed all the way home from here to my mechanic, which will not be a fun bill to see.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
what were you cleaning your engine with?

did you cover your electrical bits before you sprayed water in there?

were you using high pressure water?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:06 PM

forgot to cover the electrical bit duh yes i was using high pressure but was standing back, and we were using a product that is supposed to be sprayed on then rinsed off... kinda like a engine detailing product. Im just hoping that we havn't killed the motor... we figured it might be cause the elctrical got wet. We were going to try and see if the plugs were sparking but they require a special tool to get them out (so the dealer says)
Old 09-25-2006, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
take the distributor cap off and dry out the inside. pull the plug wires and dry them off. wd-40 is really good at moving water out.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:57 PM

Update: We had the car running just now, even got it to reverse just fine, but when i put it into drive it just stalls.... any ideas? Thanks for your help mgw
Old 09-25-2006, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by Hound
Update: We had the car running just now, even got it to reverse just fine, but when i put it into drive it just stalls.... any ideas? Thanks for your help mgw
does it stall the second you put it in drive, or it starts sputtering and dies after it's in drive? or does it stall when you try to move forward?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
so, did you ever make it home?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:17 PM

Mercedes Benz 300E, 1991
MGW:

I JUST DEVELOPED THE SAME PROBLEM RECENTLY. What I did was... WSA THE ENGINE. Ran just fine for a week.. During this time, I used about 5 bottles of STP, High conc. and the silver bottle and liqui moly in five tanks of 98 Octane fuel.

Now the mileage sucked and I even had to change the damn injectors to get her working.

Did some mixture adjustment (myself) (trial and error method) now she is fine. Jut one lil thing... IT STALLED TODAY TWICE IN TRAFFIC. WITHOUT WARNING. Gas mileage seems okay, will tell you tomorrow after I go to work which is about 100 Kms on a fresh tank of gas and a oil change today.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by Falconeer
What I did was... WSA THE ENGINE.
Does that mean WASH the engine?

Washing your engine should not be taken lightly. Electrical parts + water = not going anywhere anytime soon.

if you wash your engine you need to cover your electrical stuff. for you guys with the m103, that means distributor, alternator, etc.

DO NOT USE HIGH PRESSURE HOSES BECAUSE PRESSURE FORCES WATER INTO PLACES IT SHOULD NOT GO.

Get a bucket and some citrus degreaser and wash your engine with a brush and rinse with the water from the bucket.

FOR THOSE OF US WITH THE M104 ENGINE, WATCH OUT FOR YOUR WIRING HARNESS. ONE STUPID WASH COULD WRECK IT AND COST YOU $1000+

Wash your engine when it's warm, not hot. Run it for like 3-4 minutes, maybe 40-60 C.

Don't let the degreaser dry on the engine.

Just be careful and you shouldn't have any problems.

Falconeer - as far as your other issue, how exactly did it stall? Did it sputter and die? Did it stall like someone turned of the ignition all of a sudden? How is it idling? smooth? rough? fast? slow?

more info please.

Last edited by mgw_300e; 09-26-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:53 PM

1994 White an Grey E320 "Shado"
Damm! I am now scared to even look wrong in the engine bay...
Sweating over the engine could cause stalls and problems: