E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Just bought 260E, a few issues though...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 260E
Just bought 260E, a few issues though...

I just bought a 1987 260E with about 190k on the odometer. It's smooth and runs well but has a few issues and I haven't owned a MBZ before so I'm not sure what exactly to think.

1.) The oil guage is usually on 3. It doesn't really leak though (just not sure on this one.)

2.) Car starts up every time but sometimes it sputters and dies and i feel the engine shake, only to start on the second try.

3.) When in drive gear the car idles a little higher and I feel more vibration. Is this normal in these years or with this age??

4.) The car leaks a good amount of water and coolant. I'd been adding water and the car's temp. maxed out. I added coolant yesterday and the temp is okay but it leaks still and the coolant light is on. I was told it was the radiator but I'm not too sure. Any ideas?

Old 09-27-2006, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4) head gasket

1) the oil pressure gauge is for oil pressure, not level. as long as its at 1 or higher when idling and goes up when you accelerate its fine. as far as im concerned its the most important instrument on the car.

2) do a basic service first and formost. plugs, wires, rotor, cap, air filter, fuel filter, oil change, oil filter.

3) theres a built in compensator circuit in the transmission valve body that increases idle slightly when in gear. the "roughness" could be your flex discs/ hardy washer/ guibo/ driveshaft coupling (they have plenty of names) motor mounts, transmission mount, or your transmission going out. too may things to mention.

do the basic service, a head gasket job (you may as well get the cylinder head redone while its off, thatll run about $1500) and then worry about the "rough" transmission. it may go away with a tune up