E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

I had to take a Cab home...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz 300E, 1991
Exclamation I had to take a Cab home...

Hi guys,

The other day after I got an oil change, the car just died and did not start easily. After an hours driving, it jut died again on me. This time it started just fine. But then...

I went to the bank yesterday morning. The cold start was perfect. When I reached the bank, I left her on in the parking lot. I was gone for no more than 2 mins... When I came back, the engine was off. I tried for about 4 hours to get it on, but no use.

Please help! Its getting towed to the mech today. He just changed the sparks with Bosch in there. The fuel filter and the injectors are new as well.

Thanks.

Last edited by Falconeer; 09-28-2006 at 02:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by Falconeer
Hi guys,

The other day after I got an oil change, the car just died and did not start easily. After an hours driving, it jut died again on me. This time it started just fine. But then...

I went to the bank yesterday morning. The cold start was perfect. When I reached the bank, I left her on in the parking lot. I was gone for no more than 2 mins... When I came back, the engine was off. I tried for about 4 hours to get it on, but no use.

Please help! Its getting towed to the mech today. He just changed the sparks with Bosch in there. The fuel filter and the injectors are new as well.

Thanks.
Was your car showing any symptoms of dying before you got the oil change??

How is your Battery? And what about your alternator?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery while your car is running? Try this and if your car dies then you are in need of a new alternator. If it does not die then your battery may be at fault.

I remember Neanderthal telling me not to re-connect the cables unless the car is off, so keep this in mind.

Also, Does your car turn over at all? IS it "clicking" when you try starting? if its not doing anything at all then I'm pretty sure its your starter.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:26 AM

All of them!
I took a Cab home yesterday too!!!

I took a Cab home yesterday too!!! I am not however as disappointed as you. My Cab is a 2002 CLK55 Designo cab!!
Telling me which car would be a great start since you show to have multiple Mercdes. Exact symtoms help too.
If you car's engine turns over but won't start, You need to check some basics. So take the air clener off and squirt a very small amout of fuel in the air intake on the engine and try to turn it over. If it likes the fuel and attempted to start, then you know the ignition is intact and mechanically about right.If it doesn't report back and we can pursue this.
Next I would press down on the air flow plate to see that it has good tension on it (an easy sign if the fuel pressure is there) If not we will pursue this route.
Next see if the air flow plate will pull down when the engine is cranked. If not you should pursue a vacuum leak on the intake, like a large hose loose from air flow housing or the idle valve.
This shoul get you started.
Rich
Old 09-29-2006, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by mbenzman
I took a Cab home yesterday too!!! I am not however as disappointed as you. My Cab is a 2002 CLK55 Designo cab!!

Rich
LOL hahaha!
Old 09-29-2006, 01:37 PM

Mercedes Benz 300E, 1991
ummm,

thanks guys, but the problem was fixed by my mechanic yesterday in about 5 mins!

Thebattery is new and is 100 Ampere hour. The alternator bearings and the AVR were new too.

The fault was in the fuel relay its soldering was broken so I jsut re-soldered it in the garage and it was fixed. He did not even charge me anything for the job!

Thanks again though.