E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Climate Control Clicking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 C230K and 2002 ML320
Climate Control Clicking

I have a clicking from the lower right side of my dash... not sure exactly where, but somewhere over there... this causes my CC to rev up and down the blower speed inside the car. It stops when I turn the Climate Control off completely.

I know that fuses are strange little things that I need to replace... and I am hoping that's what my problem is... but, just in case... has anyone else had this issue?

I know that the fan motor for the temp sensor is down there... can this be going out and confusing my CC into needing more air into the cabin?

Also, as I am typing this I am thinking that my car set to 75, sure doesn't feel like 75, as in much cooler than that... I don't want to think that the CC unit itself is dying as it works fine 75% of the time.

Any insight? Is there anything under the passengers floor board besides the alarm control that might have to do with the climate control?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is a German Tank
clicking?? are you sure its not your blower motor??

Funny...my HVAC is now coming on only 80% of the time, but its not the fuses as I have checked these...let me know what you come up with as I need some help as well.

PS: I did not mean to highjack by any means...
Old 11-09-2006, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
The temperature sensor is up near your map light, sunroof cluster... that little vent there.... The clicking noise, is it like a buzzing sound or is it a click like a rock stuck ina tire sound? If it is the latter I would really think about taking the fan motor out and checking it for leaves or junk. You can check the brushes on the motor and I know people who have replaced the brushes as opposed to replacing the motor and squirrel cage. That also tends to break apart from age/heat and can cause clicking.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Originally Posted by shadowgriffen
clicking?? are you sure its not your blower motor??

Funny...my HVAC is now coming on only 80% of the time, but its not the fuses as I have checked these...let me know what you come up with as I need some help as well.

PS: I did not mean to highjack by any means...
Your switches could be going out, or the "mother board" on the switch cluster... they are known to have problems. An old mechanic I worked for in HS used to get the "bad" ones from the dealer and resolder one little connection on the circuit board and they were good as new.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
Your switches could be going out, or the "mother board" on the switch cluster... they are known to have problems. An old mechanic I worked for in HS used to get the "bad" ones from the dealer and resolder one little connection on the circuit board and they were good as new.
hmmmm.....thanks Jonathan!

I'll look into it!
Old 11-09-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 C230K and 2002 ML320
I'll have to check a few things... inline6 on benzworld suggested it was the KLIMA relay that is clicking... it sounds like a relay clicking... not near the control unit... but in the right side of the dash... I am going to see if it does it when I get home and listen to where its coming from... I am always driving when it happens and I am not going to pull over on the freeway to listen.