E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

3 Piece AMG Ducktail Queries...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 300E
3 Piece AMG Ducktail Queries...

I have a couple of questions for both W124 Sedan and Coupe owners.

1) Is the Ducktail same for both the Sedan and the Coupe ?
2) Does the Ducktail need to be moulded to the trunk or is it just supposed to be stuck with glue?

I have been looking for an AMG ducktail for quite a while now and recently someone offered his brand new Ducktail to me for a price of $400 US. It has never been used but it is painted white in color. I would like to know if that is a good price or am I being asked to pay a hefty amount. If yes, what offer should I make him, also to remember I have to ship it to Canada and the Ducktail is not a small piece.

The owner bought it a couple of years ago for his coupe, but his garage told him its for a Sedan and cant be used on the coupe. He also says it is hollow underneath.

Now I dont know what a ducktail looks like from underneath so maybe you guys could help me out with a couple of pictures and helpful hints and also if the price is right.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Old 12-05-2006, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Coupe and sedan ARE different.

Can be glued, mine is, originals are. Some are molded.

$400 for a real one is reasonable, if it's fake, it's way too much....dunno what it looked like underneath, that was 4 yrs ago for mine...

Old 12-06-2006, 02:45 PM

1988 300E
As always I love your car and the way it looks. Question though, what size rims and tires are those? They look like they might be rubbing, but then it could just be the picture.

These are the pictures of the spoiler that gentleman is trying to sell me. I have no idea if they are the stick on ones or the molded ones. He says its original AMG, i cant tell !!
Attached Thumbnails 3 Piece AMG Ducktail Queries...-dsc01491.jpg   3 Piece AMG Ducktail Queries...-dsc01493.jpg  
Old 12-06-2006, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
hard to tell...there should be a HWA part number stamped on it somewhere if it is in fact authentic AMG.

and NO, my tires do not rub. 18x8 ET 35 with 215 40 18
Old 12-06-2006, 03:08 PM

1988 300E
18x8 ET 35 with 215 40 18

Holy crap....and no rubbing issues ? How did you manage that? Is your car lowered? Did your roll your front and rear fenders ?

Sorry to ask so many questions, its just that I am buying AMG monoblocks right after Christmas and I really want 18's but at the same time I thought I would have to use little rubber since my car is a daily driver, so I scratched that idea and decided to go with 17's instead. Not to mention the fact that I would probably have to roll the fenders, use fender spacers and all that jazz.

I emailed the guy asking for the part no. lets see if he can provide me with one.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
uggg..not to be a jerk but this topic has been beaten to death here...search 18s on a W124 or largest wheels on a w124 etc...you'll find all the info you need
Old 12-06-2006, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by xudeck
18x8 ET 35 with 215 40 18

Holy crap....and no rubbing issues ? How did you manage that? Is your car lowered? Did your roll your front and rear fenders ?

Sorry to ask so many questions, its just that I am buying AMG monoblocks right after Christmas and I really want 18's but at the same time I thought I would have to use little rubber since my car is a daily driver, so I scratched that idea and decided to go with 17's instead. Not to mention the fact that I would probably have to roll the fenders, use fender spacers and all that jazz.

I emailed the guy asking for the part no. lets see if he can provide me with one.
are you going to paint the entire car same color??

what plans do you have for mods othar than wheels and spoiler???
Old 12-06-2006, 05:21 PM

1988 300E
Umm....i plan to do a two tone paint, just coz I like the way it looks. I plan to get the lower body panels, and paint the front and rear bumpers the same color as the body panels. I probably will keep the same body paint that i have right now, coz I don't mind it.
I don't like the entire body being colored the same, but thats just me though. I think it hides a lot of the nice features that the W124 has to offer. They get hidden specially in dark colors so yeah.

I already got an intake from Wade Performances
Magnaflow Exhaust and AMG Monoblocks wheels right after christmas. Will nstall them during spring.
Already got LED dash lights from Germany just need to install them
Already got Carbon Fibre Gauge Bezels with Chrome surrounds, need to install them too.
DEPO headlights with 6600K HID's. Not interested in projectors.
Lower it according to the 18's, not interested in rolling fenders and stuff.
Sway bars
Struts,
Painted Grill Inserts
Cross Drilled Brembo Rotors
Paint the side view mirrors to body color
Install another antenna on the right rear trunk, basically on the opposite side to the stock one and keep the stock one too, so I have two antenna's.
Change the stock speakers, coz they sound like ****. Nothing fancy though. Just something with crystal clear sound and a small sub for a lil bit of bass. I don't want the entire neighborhood to know who I am and that I am driving by.
Some wooden panels for the doors, make it look a lil more decent.
RaceON has this EVOLUTION body kit for the 300E. I just want their front bumper, coz its just ridiculously wicked. DTM Style with that extended front lip.

I guess thats all I can think of for now. Hope to get all this done before summer next year and then ill put it in car shows and see what happens.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
huh huh, you said query

Two antennas? Try no antennas! I shaved the antenna when I repainted my 400E, it looked so so so much cleaner that way. With SAT radio and iPods, I never listen to the regular FM anymore, I only use AM for road conditions, but even at that, Sirius has road condition updates... soooo ditch the antenna mayn.

Last edited by myfirstbenz; 12-06-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:12 PM

1988 300E
LOL....im not getting two antenna's for better reception. I just like the look. I saw a couple of W140's with dual antenna's and they look sick. very VIP, although im not going for that look. I don't know what look im going for. I'm just doing things I always wanted to do on my w124. We'll see how it turns out eventually. I'm selling the bad boy as soon as I graduate school anyways and picking up a 500E ..muhuhahahah !! lol
Old 12-06-2006, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
I don't believe those are antennas. I believe they are masts for aiding in parking.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:15 AM

1988 300E
Really?

Coz the ones I looked at, they were pretty much antenna's they go all the way down and then come up all the way. Exact same mechanical function as the antenna.

Well either way, antenna's or masts...I wanna get them. And they shall be retractable too.

A lot of W140's that belong to various countries presidents or prime ministers or kings have that too...so yeah.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Yeah, they function like an antenna mast, they are farther back at the corners of the car So when you go to park, they pop up to show you where the rear corners are. Just an FYI.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:23 AM

1988 300E
Umm yeah I have seen them too on most of the w140's

But when I talk about an antenna I am talking about an actual antenna directly opposite from the stock one and they both come up or go down at the same time.

The parking mast is a lot smaller and it's rather flat so you can barely tell its there.

Im really not talking out of my wazoo here.....maybe the cars I saw had them retrofitted or whatever.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:25 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
Yeah, they function like an antenna mast, they are farther back at the corners of the car So when you go to park, they pop up to show you where the rear corners are. Just an FYI.
ditto.

I use to have a W140 and the antenna's in the rear were for parking assistance. Pretty cool - thank god they were only like 2-3 inches high when on.

I still dont see why you want two antenna's...
Old 12-07-2006, 11:59 AM

1988 300E
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
I still dont see why you want two antenna's...

The same reason as I don't see why people would want chrome rims. Personal preference. I saw cars with dual antenna's and I liked how they look and thats what I want for my car.

Freedom of expression !!

Well I like racing stripes on cars too but im not getting racing stripes on a benz..lol !! You gotta draw the line somewhere.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Well I like racing stripes on cars too but im not getting racing stripes on a benz..lol !! You gotta draw the line somewhere.
Thank god!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:17 PM

1988 300E
LOOOOOL

I may be crazy...but im not an idiot !!!
Old 03-11-2007, 08:55 PM

300E
Did the guy ever get back to you about the part number on the spoiler? its looks basically like mine that was installed at conception of the car.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:20 PM

W124
Already got LED dash lights from Germany just need to install them
DEPO headlights with 6600K HID's. Not interested in projectors.
hey bro,

you got pics of the dash lights? and the DEPO headlights??

cheers
Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 PM

Range Rover Classic
For the record I think the msrp on the Ducktail is 1200.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:17 PM

1988 300E
Originally Posted by EvoW124
hey bro,

you got pics of the dash lights? and the DEPO headlights??

cheers
Hey bro,

I haven't installed the LED's yet. I found out about these EL GLOW gauges from Climaxtech and I think I will be going that route. I see that you have them. How do you like them? Can we have some pictures? Hows installation and product quality?

DEPO Lamps I was going that route, but then I decided to wait it out and get those HELLA E Code's which are pricy, but look good so yeah. Or I might get those diamond projector lamps. I don't know...lol !! I'm concentrating on my exhaust and wheels right now.

So please do post some pics of your EL-GLOW. I want to order them ASAP.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:18 PM

1988 300E
Originally Posted by Parshman
Did the guy ever get back to you about the part number on the spoiler? its looks basically like mine that was installed at conception of the car.
Naah he didn't. He sounded a lil sketchy ...lol !!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:25 PM

W124
Hey bro,

I haven't installed the LED's yet. I found out about these EL GLOW gauges from Climaxtech and I think I will be going that route. I see that you have them. How do you like them? Can we have some pictures? Hows installation and product quality?

DEPO Lamps I was going that route, but then I decided to wait it out and get those HELLA E Code's which are pricy, but look good so yeah. Or I might get those diamond projector lamps. I don't know...lol !! I'm concentrating on my exhaust and wheels right now.

So please do post some pics of your EL-GLOW. I want to order them ASAP.
here's the pics, sorry for the poor quality, using only my simple Nokia hp to take some pics..

daylight

at night

this EL Dials is VX version the latest ones

they have the
1) black on White(original) dials emiting Blue glow
2) RS Version - sporty blue all round the numerials(black in color) and only the
the sporty blue emits the blue glow

I'm proud that, for my prev W123 & now W124, I'm the first in Singapore to try it, whenever they have a new version.. so they won't let me down on its quality. Quality-wise - great,

Installation is simple, just simple taking out the Dials, and placed these EL Dials over the originals(Double sided tape), slipping thru those needles must be done slowly as might hit the needles alightment out...

their website is http://www.climaxtech.com/
o ya, they are Singapore Based.

you can look for Victor.

I tot you had the DEPO Lamps, would like to compare, think I'll be going for the Diamonds Projectors but only afraid of the Light projection quality...

you also try the LED Taillights.. they are great. it refresh the car looks.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Those dials look awesome evo! Do they have ones with the economy meter? I have the economy meter on my dials and I wanted to get those dials and even talked with the company for a while but they never said anything about the economy meter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3 Piece AMG Ducktail Queries...