E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

What size wiper blade is everyone using?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dora the Explorer
What size wiper blade is everyone using?

The stupid WalMart wiper selector told me 19". When I took off my old one, it looked like a 20". I think a 21" will fit, but is anyone using one that big? I want to put the biggest wiper blade on there that will fit without hitting the top or sides. Anyone know? My 19" blade gives me tunnel vision because of how much windshield it doesn't hit.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by mgw_300e
The stupid WalMart wiper selector told me 19". When I took off my old one, it looked like a 20". I think a 21" will fit, but is anyone using one that big? I want to put the biggest wiper blade on there that will fit without hitting the top or sides. Anyone know? My 19" blade gives me tunnel vision because of how much windshield it doesn't hit.
matt I've gone through two wipers in the past year

one was a 21 inch (NEVER AGAIN, if its not OEM dont waste your time)

the other was 20 inch (BETTER FTMENT< BUT NOT HAPPY either, it would flop around no matter how many times I adjusted it)

So I am now riding around with a 19 incher and its great

good fitment, no wobble, clears windshield just perfect.

IMO 19 is the way to go
Old 12-12-2006, 01:55 PM

1988 300E
I just got my refill from the dealership and the Parts Manager installed it for me, free of cost. Funny thing is, I get soo many things free from those guys. I guess they like me

The blade is 20" standard I think !!
Old 12-12-2006, 03:09 PM

W124
OEM wiper length is 24" (inches). It is a little difficult to fit in but if you want maximum coverage go with a 24" blade. I used a Bosch Excel and upgraded to the Bosch ICON wipers which look way cooler (frameless wiper). If you're going to go with the ICON wipers use a 22" because its quite thick and can actually hit the sides. I never go with the cheap wally world or autozone replacements. I always go with Bosch teflon blade even on my other car. It lasts longer and won't dry up on you over the summer.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
WOW! 24"?!?!?!

I would have never guessed that would fit.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
260E , 1989 (for now)
Smile

24in. it is.
I just replaced mine last week-end.
In my case, it is always a Bosch.....or no wiper
Old 12-12-2006, 10:27 PM

1990 300CE, 1984 190e 2.3 (sold)
I replaced my wiper a few days ago and went to walmart (ughh...i hate walmart). The reason i went though was to get the Bosch Icon, which they are apprently SUPPOSED to be carrying. They didn't have it so i bought a TripleBlade for $9...which was CRAP! So stay away from that.

I then found out that GI Joe's carries the BOSCH ICON. To sum it up, the BOSCH ICON is the way to go. It works grrrreat! The size i use is 24" which is what the books said at the store. HOWEVER, my bro got one for his 300TE and it gets caught up towards the base of the arm. The only problem i have with mine is that on the first pass, a small section is skipped over on the passenger side, but is coverd on the return trip. The blade is $22 or something, but well worth the money.

As far as the SIZE goes, 24 is what the store books told me but i could see a 22 being fine. 19 seems to be pushin it though with a single wiper.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:08 AM

After driving in the rain tonight there are a few things i noticed:

1) 24" blade will cover all the way to the top of the windshield, but on the edges it will miss about 2" since it cant form to the curve at the outer edges. Thus i'd go with a 22 or 23 blade next time....but doesnt really matter.

2) I'm not sure about the Bosch Icons and our cars. Seeing how it didn't work with my brothers w124 and how it misses a spot on my windshield on first pass. The wiper also makes a sound when starting and changing directions (or maybe i'm just now paying attention). It's a great wiper for the right car, like my dad's 05' Audi Allroad, but may not be the right style for ours. My bro and i will be trying out a 22" tomorrow, so we'll keep you updated,
Old 12-13-2006, 04:51 AM

W124
The reason I found out the 24" ICONS have some trouble on the 124s is because I found out the hard way. I didn't have to pay for mine because I got it free from work but I did have to bust out the dremel and a cutting wheel to stop the plastic ends from smacking into the A pillar.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
19" is the only wiper I've had on my TE that does clears the entire winshield without missing a beat.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
Originally Posted by NorCal124
The reason I found out the 24" ICONS have some trouble on the 124s is because I found out the hard way. I didn't have to pay for mine because I got it free from work but I did have to bust out the dremel and a cutting wheel to stop the plastic ends from smacking into the A pillar.
Yeah, same thing happened to me.

The 24" Bosch Icon I have is now sitting in my room somewhere. I tried it for my W208 and the same thing happened.

I tried many different wiper blades for the 124's mono wiper and the one that works the best is actually the stock one. From now on (for my w208) I just buy the wiper insert from the dealer...

the stock blade + insert does not miss a single spot...

Last edited by Holson; 12-13-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by BenzBro
After driving in the rain tonight there are a few things i noticed:

1) 24" blade will cover all the way to the top of the windshield, but on the edges it will miss about 2" since it cant form to the curve at the outer edges. Thus i'd go with a 22 or 23 blade next time....but doesnt really matter.

2) I'm not sure about the Bosch Icons and our cars. Seeing how it didn't work with my brothers w124 and how it misses a spot on my windshield on first pass. The wiper also makes a sound when starting and changing directions (or maybe i'm just now paying attention). It's a great wiper for the right car, like my dad's 05' Audi Allroad, but may not be the right style for ours. My bro and i will be trying out a 22" tomorrow, so we'll keep you updated,
From the pic in your sig, that's the kind of coverage I'm looking for. Right now with a 19" it's as if I have 1 wiper, but the kind that just pivots back and forth. It sucks.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:45 PM

Good News!

Bosch Icon is my conclusion to the best wiper. The size i use is 24" which i believe to be the best, which is also stock. My brother tried the 22" Icon and found that it didn't get caught up like the 24", but noticable wiping area was sacrificed.

Here is the solution. Buy a 24" Bosch Icon. On the inner end (towards pivot point), trim off just enough plastic off the plastic cap on the top so that the wiper isn't compressed against the glass when installed. I've done this and it solves the fitting issue, noise issue and no longer misses any spots on first pass. I've been driving with it in rain lately and been very pleased. Having Rain-X or a ReJex(sp) is even better!

Now i imagine the Bosch Excel is very similar in quality and a great alternative. I just couldn't pass up the new technology and performace of the Icon and the sweet look. Aw the simple pleasures in life.

If you'd like pictures, i'd be happy to post.

PS. I have the new style wiper that does the cool moving up and down dance. The older style wipers may get different results. I'd be curious to know how it works on those.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
'90 300E
I don't understand. I just bought a 24" blade and it goes 3" over the a-pillar and roof. I went back to find out what went wrong and was told 24" is standard. Am I missing something? I just swapped it for a 21" and it still sits on top op the a-pillar. Were there different sizes used? It's a 90 300E and just inherited it from my grandmother and don't know much about the car yet....trying to learn.

Going tomorrow to get a 19" and see if that solves the problem