E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Looking to buy.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None Yet
Looking to buy.

I'm looking at buying a 95 E420 that's sitting at 122K miles. I know the wiring harness is a weakspot (is this part #124-440-1906?) What else to look for besides the obvious (leaking oil, leaking headlights, and a drifting rear end.) I'm looking for a car that'll last me through my doctorate (about 5-6 years.)

I'll be contacting the seller to see if I can take it to a dealership to have them check it out.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
If I were you (this is going to be an unpopular opinion), I would wait until you're finished with your doctorate to buy a benz. These cars are fantastic overall, but they are maintenance-heavy. Unless you have a lot of money in the bank (most doctoral students don't), I'd say get a japanese car. Buy the benz when you're a professor and making a decent salary!!

Good luck!!
Old 12-21-2006, 01:36 PM

None Yet
I am currently making $40K teaching high school, I'll continue working during the first two or three years (the masters portion.) I'm just looking to get rid of the monthly car payment I currently have, sell off the current car and pay cash for the difference and a used car.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
get it checked out by a proper benz mechanic, and go from there. the only thing i've had to do on mine is change the oil... if the car has been taken care of well, then it will take care of you. just my opinion.
if I can afford to own one, anyone can, believe me..
Old 12-21-2006, 05:05 PM

bmw
Originally Posted by Bigpete123
If I were you (this is going to be an unpopular opinion), I would wait until you're finished with your doctorate to buy a benz. These cars are fantastic overall, but they are maintenance-heavy. Unless you have a lot of money in the bank (most doctoral students don't), I'd say get a japanese car. Buy the benz when you're a professor and making a decent salary!!

Good luck!!
The key is to find a car with good maintenence history. Sure parts may be a bit more expensive, but not terribly so. My wife has a Acura CL and has had more problems than i've had with my different Benz, and Acura is supposed to be top notch Japanese. Plus the quality of how the cars drive is miles apart. Any used Japanese car for the same price as a used w124 is going to be surely high mile, and realistically any car over 100,000 miles starts to need more care, valvetrains, transmissions, etc. THats just normal. It can be minimized by better care and service, but these cars are designed to last years and years retaining their structural integrity and classy appearance. Another thing the Benz has over the Jap cars is great forum like this with many years of experience behind these cars. Learn as much about the model year car you can, what maintenence issues they have, and resolve those before you buy, or adjust the price for them even if the owner needs to be educated potential problem areas. I had my car thoroughly inspected and had them replace the motor mounts (wiring was also done previously) before hand.

Good luck and enjoy the search

Last edited by n8nod9it; 12-21-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by Bigpete123
If I were you (this is going to be an unpopular opinion), I would wait until you're finished with your doctorate to buy a benz.
BOOOO!
Immediate gratification is where it's at! Being smart is for suckers!

ThePhilosopher,
Glad to see another Houstonian on the forum. Let me guess, you live on the west side of town or in Sugarland, right?
Nobody lives near me.

Last edited by mgw_300e; 12-21-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
Originally Posted by ThePhilosopher
I am currently making $40K teaching high school, I'll continue working during the first two or three years (the masters portion.) I'm just looking to get rid of the monthly car payment I currently have, sell off the current car and pay cash for the difference and a used car.
I certainly wasn't trying to imply that you're not capable of affording it or anything. So I hope that's not the way my comments were received. I've been making good money for a recent college graduate, but I still feel financially strained by my w124. It seems that I should've had the car more carefully inspected before I bought it (from my sister). God I love my car though.

Luckily Uncle Sam is gonna come through with a decent tax return this year, so it should fund my tranny rebuild.

Anyway, back on topic... I would say buying an old mercedes is just kind of a risky move. And if I were in your position, I really wouldn't feel comfortable making that move while working so hard. Even if money isn't an issue at all, taking the car to the shop while you're in school and teaching full time will be a strain.

Just my $.02
Old 12-22-2006, 03:11 AM

None Yet
I understand where you're coming from, I've been looking at Japanese car. Due to some of the tuner trends, older civics and accords are going with a premium I'm not looking to pay (also the most stolen car in Houston.) I know older BMWs and Benzes both are known as strong long-lasting autos, hence I consider them.

I didn't think it was an attack at all, and you're right I live in Stafford.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
I understand where you're coming from, I've been looking at Japanese car. Due to some of the tuner trends, older civics and accords are going with a premium I'm not looking to pay (also the most stolen car in Houston.) I know older BMWs and Benzes both are known as strong long-lasting autos, hence I consider them.

BOTH of the civics I owned in the past were broken into. And he's not kidding, a decent civic from 93 or so will run you $3500-$4500 in Houston. And it's hard to find one that some kid hasn't riced out or trashed.

I just remembered, Mark lives by me, so I guess I can't say no one does.

One of these days we need a Houston W124 GTG!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:52 AM

2001 W208A
thanks for remembering me Matt....
since you are able to shop and wait, just go slow and wait for the right one (mx history, ect) it's amazing what a fistful of $100's can do to you negotiating power after a detail inspection lists what is needed
Old 12-22-2006, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Old 12-22-2006, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
ha ha, I hear you man! If I'm gonna recommend any MB for reliability, I'll recommend a w124 diesel. Now those things won't quit. With gas prices as they are, E300D's and 300D's are going for a premium also. But they typically have less problems. MB gassers are less reliable, but they are more fun to drive.