E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

87 300e dead battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300e
87 300e dead battery

need help with 87 300e with approx. 150,000 miles.
the battery dies alot, always starts when i jump it.
it seems to happen when key is left in the ignition
is this a battery problem or something else?
appreciate any info.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:56 PM

Lightbulb

Hey!
I have an 89 300e with almost 300k. In the past I had a problem with the battery dying on me. We had the mechanic look at the alternator. The car was full of juice for a while. A few years later while on the Kennedy inbound to Chicago during a snowstorm the car died on me, right in front of the toll booth in tons of traffic. Before the car just stopped running, I noticed the ABS light go on and a few other lights go on, but didn't think anything of it until the engine decided to stop. I had someone jump me. They hooked up the batteries, right there on the expressway in the middle of lanes (everyones stopped because of traffic) and the other guy revved his engine, forgetting he was in reverse and helped me start the 300e up while at the same time when flying backwards at about 30 mph and ran into like 6 cars behind us. I laugh now, but I felt horrible then. I walked up to him, thanked him for the jump, and asked if I could help him out now. He said, he would take care of it. Meanwhile like 10 people were getting out of cars about to yell at him while the snow was reaching a foot deep on I-90...

Anyway, since that day I have installed a nice Die Hard International battery. I now have tons of crap hooked up through my cigarette lighter and a new powerful head unit installed. The car has never died on me since, but I was feeling what you are feeling now. All I can say is do the following to make sure you won't have any problems:

1.Check the alternator, get it fixed or replaced(eeh! lots of $$$)
2.Install a new Die Hard International that Die Hard recommends on their web site
3.Purchase a booster pack and leave it in your trunk. If you are ever out of juice or anyone else is, you can just take it out, hook it up as if it was another car and jump your car. Here is the link...
http://www.barcoproducts.com/electronic/booster.html
There are several different brands and models, just look around. I actually didn't get this one, but it looks similar to mine.

Good luck, this problem can usally be fixed if not reversed with better power with a new battery.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
Hi,
first question is the age of the battery. If anywhere beyond 5-6 years it had its time. Then I absolutely support the note from "chubber".
However, your question of leaving the key in ignition could also cause the problem, depending in which postion the key is left there. If turned in pos. 1 or 2, it causes some small fans and waterpumps in the heating system, and some electronic circuits to run and of corse empty the battery depending on how long this lasts.
Best bet there would be either pull the key or turn it to the ultra left position. Also check if your dome light really shuts off after leaving the car. Because this light on over night will empty also your battery, especially if not brand new.

Good luck
Old 09-18-2002, 11:06 AM

1987 300e
thanks so much for the info. will replace battery first (least expensive), then go from there.

regards
Old 09-18-2002, 11:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'90 500SL '07 C280 '98 E320, '19 C43
I would check your voltage regulator. It sits in the back of the alternator. Very easy to remove. They can fail and if your really unlucky you can fry the battery.
It should be looked at every 20K.
Good Luck
Old 09-21-2002, 10:06 PM

dying battery

the age of the battery is the most important.

check what the alternator is charging at, a good alternator will charge around 14.2 volts,

you can visually inspect the voltage regulator, it is actually a wearing part. there are only two screws that hold it into the back of the alternator, you will see where the voltage regulator is worn, the prongs should be about half an inch long when new. a new alternator (or a rebuilt one) will come with a voltage regulator, your alternator is an AL65X (bosch number) i cant remember the OE number for the life of me. mercedes dealers sell new ones and rebuilt ones, indepedents can get bosch remans for cheaper.

SO- check the battery, if it is old, replace it.
check the alternator, you need 14.2 volts (approx)
if the battery is new and the alternator was not charging, and the battery was completely down a bunch of times, you will need a new battery anyway.

btw-i have had bad luck with al65x alternators recently, maybe bosch is goofing off