E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Outside Temp.Gauge installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outside Temp.Gauge installation

My rather beautiful but much-travelled '85 300E never had the Outside Temp. Gauge option and associated wiring. However, I bought one a while back with a display calibrated in deg. C as, after a long time in Australia, I've got used metric units.

I have the probe that's installed behind the front number plate, along with a clear diagram of how it should be mounted. I also have the all-important display device (and its plug and wires leading from it) which secures with two screws into the back of the instrument cluster, after one has carefully cut out a small window in the continuous strip of translucent plastic which identifies all the various warning lights.

What I need is information (diagramatic preferably) on how the temperature display in the instrument cluster should be connected into the car's existing wiring harness... I would be extremely grateful for any help.

The car is silver, with dark blue interior, alloy wheels, sun-roof, has covered 256,000 kms, and is completely unaltered from standard, apart from matching sheepskin seatcovers. At the time of writing, everything works except the cassette deck.