E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Smoking something fierce...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I owned the exact same car (same year too). Assuming the air and fuel filters are new, you should:

Check your timing chain stretch, if the chain is stretched then properly calibrating the injection pump will be impossible.

Check/replace your injector nozzles.

Set the injection pump timing, and adjust the ALDA.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 PM

The mercedes mechanic (old **** german guy... No kidding) changed the injectors without asking me first.. after I had requested a written quote
(And then he tried to charge me $600)

I got mad and so did he so he just put the old ones back in and I drove away paying $0 but with some valuable info.

Injectors alone did not fix the problem.. he said it was like 50% better with the injectors.

I think the other 50% is the injector pump being just a little off time.. (maybe.. I hope anyway)

So what I'm going to do is properly set the time on the injector pump then change the injectors.

I HOPE that will fix it.

^ to answer one of the questions above about why a not working turbo would make it smoke...

The answer is the ECU is programed to dump the amount of fuel needed for the engine under BOOST... and when you're under boost you need more fuel soooo

No Boost = To much fuel through the rpm range where the turbo would usually kick in...

The engine does have a mechanical injection pump but it also has a MAF and the injection pump seems to also be controled by electronics...

maybe the solinoid on the injection pump is bad? (IDK enough about the engine to know if that's possible)
Old 05-21-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 300E
You guys should probably all get extremely angry with each other for no reason. jesus. since that makes sense.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by Kenrik
The mercedes mechanic (old **** german guy... No kidding) changed the injectors without asking me first.. after I had requested a written quote
(And then he tried to charge me $600)

I got mad and so did he so he just put the old ones back in and I drove away paying $0 but with some valuable info.

Injectors alone did not fix the problem.. he said it was like 50% better with the injectors.

I think the other 50% is the injector pump being just a little off time.. (maybe.. I hope anyway)

So what I'm going to do is properly set the time on the injector pump then change the injectors.

I HOPE that will fix it.

^ to answer one of the questions above about why a not working turbo would make it smoke...

The answer is the ECU is programed to dump the amount of fuel needed for the engine under BOOST... and when you're under boost you need more fuel soooo

No Boost = To much fuel through the rpm range where the turbo would usually kick in...

The engine does have a mechanical injection pump but it also has a MAF and the injection pump seems to also be controled by electronics...

maybe the solinoid on the injection pump is bad? (IDK enough about the engine to know if that's possible)
Your explanation about the turbo makes sense. the reason I asked is that I knew a guy with a Camry turbo diesel (rare car, I know). His turbo died and he still drove the car. It did not smoke excessively, but was fairly gutless.

Sounds like the Merc diesel you have is a bit more modern than the ones I've worked on. They did not have electronics except to control the glow plugs.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:59 AM

^ Carburated cars do not have the problem with busted turbos because it's a mechanical system. The ECU in a fuel injected car has no way of knowing if the turbo is working or not.

Anyway... Anyone here know where I can get a FSM from??
I need to know how to properly set the injection pump timing..

The car is Nailing a lot under 1200 rpms after I got it back from the mechanic, I think it's because he put the old injectors back in a different order AND the injection pump timing is off.. it had a litttle bit of nailing before but now it's worse.

I think I have bad injectors and the timing is off, that's what makes the most sence to me ATM anyway..
Old 05-22-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
^ Carburated cars do not have the problem with busted turbos because it's a mechanical system. The ECU in a fuel injected car has no way of knowing if the turbo is working or not.

Anyway... Anyone here know where I can get a FSM from??
I need to know how to properly set the injection pump timing..

The car is Nailing a lot under 1200 rpms after I got it back from the mechanic, I think it's because he put the old injectors back in a different order AND the injection pump timing is off.. it had a litttle bit of nailing before but now it's worse.

I think I have bad injectors and the timing is off, that's what makes the most sence to me ATM anyway..
I think we used the go/no go LED tool for setting the pump timing on these engines. The old 617 required drip timing. This is what I remember anyway. It's been a while. It may be worth having an experienced shop set this for you with special tools being required. It should not be very expensive. If it does not fix the problem, at least you know the timing is proper.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
It was a turbo DIESEL, not carb.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Don't waste your time.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...splay.php?f=15

Go talk to experts here. They have master mechanics that have published articles on diesels in prestigious auto journals, so go ask them for help.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:40 AM

'91 300D 2.5Turbo
Hi everyone. I have exactly the same car, same year, same problem, i tried many things too.. then i used the liqui-moly "DIESEL SMOKE STOP CONCENTRATE" and is 90% better now, i used it twice. Maybe you can try the same its a very cheap additive. Hope it helps you.

http://www.liqui-moly.com/web/lmhome...esfordieselcar