E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Hardware Mods Vs. Electronic Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 190E 2.6L
Hardware Mods Vs. Electronic Tuning

I just hit up this Sponsor, StealthAuto for more mods versus their "Performance Chip" upgrade.

Any opinions or advice on the available for such aftermarket products?

This is what I asked him;
__________________________________________________ _____
"I'm interested in more hardware mods, than electronic mods.

Do you have an "Underdrive Pulley System" for a 1994 E320(W124) Sedan?

Also looking for anything to relocate or mod the existing air intake box for better and more cold air.

Performance Thermostats, Upgraded Alternators, Water Pumps, etc...

Let me know, Thanks in advance!"
Old 05-16-2007, 04:47 PM

Range Rover Classic
Performance Mods

Twin Turbo Chargers
- Mossleman Kit 7k
- Turbo Technics Kit ?K

Both should produce BHP ratings above 300.

Stroke and Bore to 3.6 liters
- 15K from RennTech
- NLA from AMG & Brabus

Engine Swaps
- 3.6 liter M104 from a C36
- Other?

A catalyst free exhaust could in theory provide 10 BHP.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:00 PM

1992 190E 2.6L
Originally Posted by Eliot
Performance Mods

Twin Turbo Chargers
- Mossleman Kit 7k
- Turbo Technics Kit ?K

Both should produce BHP ratings above 300.

Stroke and Bore to 3.6 liters
- 15K from RennTech
- NLA from AMG & Brabus

Engine Swaps
- 3.6 liter M104 from a C36
- Other?

A catalyst free exhaust could in theory provide 10 BHP.

Common...I'm a bolt on wonder-boy.
I was looking for some off-the-shelf-diy-mods... Small quirks and touch-ups to get a quaint-to-moderate response without dropping more than what the car is worth in KBB. At this point, I will probably never get rid of it. So it's worth a lot to me.
J/K

I was speaking to Babushka(Cabriolet with the AS Design 500E Fenders), and he said that he took the last M104 Technic Turbo Kit(+ or - $2200 and S&H seperate), it comes with all the cooling system upgrades, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, downpipes, BOV, etc... he's waiting to hear back about some open-item boxes. He said once they're gone, THEY'RE GONE!
+110BHP = $20/HP = Great Price!

As for the Mosselman, I don't think they support us W124'r anyone more or the W201, I already checked last year for my 190E.

A RennTech job sounds interesting, I guess better than an engine swap, then again a brand new engine would probably be better than a using the existing one that's runned-down, that will probably be beaten up, rebored, rebuilt, and may have any unknown's that could happen in the future.

Then again, a new engine could also have the same thing happen, but at least a new 3.6L 24V IL6 isn't a the same as a used 3.2L rebuilt to a 3.6L.

Let me google a new engine and see what they are going for instead of rebuilding.

Thanks!

Forgive my Newbieness, but what is an "NLA from AMG & Brabus", No Longer Available?

Last edited by jgajito; 05-16-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:25 PM

Range Rover Classic
Correct.. no longer available. In all fairness AMG has been subsumed (although I suppose they would if you offered enough money through their one of specialty division) and Brabus is always about the latest and the greatest.

Too bad about the Turbo Technics kits... those were cheep for the power. You could build your own or buy the bits in kit form. That would probably be less expensive than the Mossleman. The Mossy is available to the best of my knowledge, someone bought one within the last year or so.

I own an E420 which has a really low differential gearing (2.24) Swapping that for 2.82 would give me sub 6 0-60 times (better than the E500 as the car weighs less) but theres nothing similar for the straight sixes.

Of the mods you've mentioned I do know that Dave M. has upgraded the stock alternator for one that producers more power (with a small resulting loss in BHP.) Chipping is largely useless on these cars and will just move the powerband. The exhaust gains are theoretical but probably real (no ever puts it to the dyno test afterwards oddly.) In the Middle East Mercs were available without a Catalytic Converter and the HP figures are 10 higher.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:50 AM

1992 190E 2.6L
Originally Posted by Eliot
...(no one ever puts it to the dyno test afterwards oddly.)...
Thanks for the info on the Alternator, I'll pass and stick to OEM then.

As for the Exhaust, IME(in my experience) my 190E had idle issues and could not pass SMOG. My mechanic tried to retard the engine and still couldn't get it to cooperate.

I finally save the $$$ to have extremities done to the entire fuel system.
I was given and extension from the DMV, I ended up replacing the items on my list at another thread.

W201 2.3L 8V

Spark Plugs
Wires
Ignition Coil
Cap & Rotor
Rebuilt an Alternator to from 65 amps to 90 amps
Starter
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump
Cold Air Intake
Steam Cleaned
Belt and Belt Tensioner Pulley
Catalytic Converter FlowMaster
Straight Pipe Catback to a New Muffler 2.5"
Delete Resonator
Muffler (OBX Oval)
R16 was removed

The day at a Dyno and same day to the SMOG test, I filled up with 103 trick fuel. Drove for about an hour through traffic. The car was insanely smoother than when I first got it.

I Dyno'd 161-163 bhp from stock, I think it was like 135 bhp stock.
Low end was stronger, top end was even better. The fastest I pushed it was 120-125mph I tracked it in the 0-60 in the 9's, it's nothing to brag about.

My mechanic was skeptical at first regarding the whole exhaust butchering, but after passing smog and seeing the Dyno results he was more impressed with the experiment than what he's done before.

I guess this is what destroy my transmision, me blasting like a bat out of hell.