E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

300e 4-matic problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Mercedes 300e 4-matic (m103 motor)
300e 4-matic problems

I have a 93 300e 4matic sedan with 190k. Ok abotu 2 weeks ago I was driving and out fo no where the car just died. No warnign or anything. It will not start up again until it cools down. When cool it will usually start up 9/10 times. When i started having problems I changed the cap rotor and spark generator. As soon as the car warms up to 87 degress it just shuts off. Anyoen have this problem or know what to do?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
I posted this response to another thread similar to this.

I had several old style relays with a failing solder joint for the main fuel pump relay contact. It appeared the heating and contracting caused the joint to crack around the pin that was soldered. When cold the contact was sufficient. When the joint heated after driving, the car would die and the joint would need to cool before restarting. This failure was easily visible and cured by reheating and resoldering the connection. It's easy to pop the outside cover from the relay and just reseal after inspection with your regular goo. I fixed more relays this way than I saw fail for other reasons.

I also ran into a crank sensor failing at full engine temperature. The engine would die after idling for several minutes following a drive. If I left the hood up after driving the sensor would not fail.

Make sure you hear the fuel pump cycle when the ignition is turned on. It will run for about 2 seconds and usually is quite audible if you place your head towards the underside. Something to check the next time it fails. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Mercedes 300e 4-matic (m103 motor)
where is the fuel pump relay located? and if this works you my man will be a life saver because my car has been dead in the driveway for 2 weeks.

also if thats your car in your signiture that things beautiful very well doen and taken care of.