E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Sucked in upper radiator hose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Sucked in upper radiator hose

My upper radiator hose gets sucked in. When I open the overflow cap it goes back to normal and I can hear the air getting sucked into the system when I open the cap. I think it must be because of my head gasket leak. On occasion, I have to add just the slightest amount of water to my cooling system. I don’t have to add much water and I do not have to add it frequently, but I do seem to loose just a bit of coolant over a number of months. I do not loose oil. At least I never have to add any between oil changes at regular 3000 mile intervals. I am sure I have the classic head gasket leak, since it was diagnosed as such by the dealer. I also ,have the front timing cover leak and I also need a new wiring harness.

I just want to confirm that my sucked in hose is probably related to the head gasket leak and not some other new weird failure that may be common to these W124 cars.

Also, if I add tap water, at about 1 cup per 3 months, will that be a bad thing for my cooling system. Answering my own question, I guess I should buy a gallon of distilled water.

I may get the head gasket repaired pretty soon, along with the wiring harness, but this year I already spent for brakes, new exhaust, and now the AC compressor. I am just trying to spread out these stupid repairs on this car that I love even though it sucks big time.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by ksing44
My upper radiator hose gets sucked in. When I open the overflow cap it goes back to normal and I can hear the air getting sucked into the system when I open the cap. I think it must be because of my head gasket leak. On occasion, I have to add just the slightest amount of water to my cooling system. I don’t have to add much water and I do not have to add it frequently, but I do seem to loose just a bit of coolant over a number of months. I do not loose oil. At least I never have to add any between oil changes at regular 3000 mile intervals. I am sure I have the classic head gasket leak, since it was diagnosed as such by the dealer. I also ,have the front timing cover leak and I also need a new wiring harness.

I just want to confirm that my sucked in hose is probably related to the head gasket leak and not some other new weird failure that may be common to these W124 cars.

Also, if I add tap water, at about 1 cup per 3 months, will that be a bad thing for my cooling system. Answering my own question, I guess I should buy a gallon of distilled water.

I may get the head gasket repaired pretty soon, along with the wiring harness, but this year I already spent for brakes, new exhaust, and now the AC compressor. I am just trying to spread out these stupid repairs on this car that I love even though it sucks big time.
You may only need a new radiator cap. From your description the problem is in the cap.
Is the hose collapsed when the engine is cold? if so the little valve in the cap is not venting properly. the little amount of water you add could be cap related too. If your head gasket was blown you would know it, what you describe is not what you would have with a blown head gasket.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
yeah man, check the cap... and also, you can get pre-mixed coolant, i would rather use that than tap water...
Old 07-02-2007, 05:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Thanks for the replies. I will get a new cap, some MB antifreeze, and some distilled water.