E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Exterior Lighting Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Exterior Lighting Problem

I lost power to the right rear side marker light. There's no power to the green/white wire that powers it. The wires in the trunk look fine. Where else can I look?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:11 AM
CLJ

300E
According to the wiring diagram the 'rear right turn signal' is directly wired to the 'front right turn signal', the instrument cluster's 'right turn signal', the combination switch on the steering wheel and the hazard switch. I guess it’s also worth trying the hazard switch to see what happens, but anyway it seems that the wire to the rear has gone kaput. I think you should be able to trace the wire back underneath the rear seats, then underneath the front seat and then directly to either the hazard switch or the switch on the steering wheel (not sure which one, but hope this helps).
Attached Thumbnails Exterior Lighting Problem-1.jpg  
Old 07-04-2007, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CLJ
According to the wiring diagram the 'rear right turn signal' is directly wired to the 'front right turn signal', the instrument cluster's 'right turn signal', the combination switch on the steering wheel and the hazard switch. I guess it’s also worth trying the hazard switch to see what happens, but anyway it seems that the wire to the rear has gone kaput. I think you should be able to trace the wire back underneath the rear seats, then underneath the front seat and then directly to either the hazard switch or the switch on the steering wheel (not sure which one, but hope this helps).
Thanks! Actually, the turn signals are fine, it's just the tiny light on the side of the right rear tail light assembly. It works fine, and then it doesn't, and when it doesn't work it turns on the lamp failure indicator. Your diagram gave me an idea. I traced the wires to the back seat, so I guess I'll have to pull that out and have a look. The problem could be under the dash, but I haven't figured out how to remove the cover to get under the dash.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:05 PM

W124
Over time the connection points on the bulbs lose their "roundness" therefore not making contact with the plug they go into. Sometimes its just a case of having to replace a light bulb even though they aren't bad. It has happened to me before.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NorCal124
Over time the connection points on the bulbs lose their "roundness" therefore not making contact with the plug they go into. Sometimes its just a case of having to replace a light bulb even though they aren't bad. It has happened to me before.
I was hoping this was the problem, but there's no power coming to the socket on the green/white wire. The problem is somewhere before the wires come into the trunk area.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:35 PM
CLJ

300E
Sorry I'm not really familliar with the difference between a side marker lamp and a turn signal lamp as it is a US specific option but here is the wiring diagram for the E320. Going by the diagram the side marker lamp connects directly to ground and then to 58 which from memory is one of the pins on the back of the cars main light switch on the dash.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/f...ture/img/2.PNG
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/f...ture/img/3.JPG
Old 07-04-2007, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CLJ
Sorry I'm not really familliar with the difference between a side marker lamp and a turn signal lamp as it is a US specific option but here is the wiring diagram for the E320. Going by the diagram the side marker lamp connects directly to ground and then to 58 which from memory is one of the pins on the back of the cars main light switch on the dash.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/f...ture/img/2.PNG
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/f...ture/img/3.JPG
Thanks for the diagram! I will have to start tearing things apart, I guess.