E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New 91' 300E owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 300E
New 91' 300E owner

hey everyone, ive posted a little bit here but never had an introduction thread. I got a black 91 300E when i graduated high school a few years back but it was a nightmare to get running. basically i finally got it up and running last year and been loving it ever since. had to change out the alternator, master cylinder, and adjust the idle, these are just some of the stuff i had to do to get it running, cant remember what else went wrong. (got the car from an auction).

(OK, this might be a little long... i apologise in advance)

Now, i have some stuff im thinking about fixing for looks, and some things i need to check out for performance.

Exterior:

I changed the headlights to silverstars, gave me a lot more visibility on the road, made me very happy. I now want to change it out to euro style headlights since i want to replace the headlight casing anyway (old, yellowed, and cracked) Also, the wipers dont work or i dont know how to use them.. (if they're supposed to work when i use my windshield wipers, then the headlight wipers dont work) thinking about just taking them out.

When i bought the car there were several chips of paint that came off somehow... how much do you guys think it'll cost to touch-up these spots? theres around 10 or so spots, largest being about an inch in diameter.

My taillight is cracked, someone backed into my car in the parking lot and didnt bother to leave their info... i wanted to change the taillights to a different style, not sure how, i like the stock ridges, but i dont like the amber color, maybe some that are just plain red and white that ive seen on the road.

Interior:

Some of the wood around the shifter is cracked, want to replace that.

My rear view mirror is askew, im not sure whats wrong with it, but it slants to the left and isnt stiff, meaning it wont stay the way i adjust it (especially when its hot).

Some buttons are missing on seat adjustment and AC.

Performance:

the car runs hot when i stay still for a while, or in normal traffic. I posted on another thread about this but not sure if the other guys problem applies to me. When im idling (like in a drive thru for instance) the temp goes up to 115 C. Driving around it usually stays around 100 - 110 C. that cant be normal. The fans are running fine, and i have plenty of coolant. Not sure what else can be the problem.

I might need to change my muffler. several people have told me that the sound that my car makes isnt really healthy and i possibly need a new muffler. If so, i want one that will make my car sound more like my moms old 85 500SEL. i LOVE the deep rumble, not quite like a muscle car, but beautiful.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 PM

1995 S14
Sounds like you have the base for a really nice project car. Do you have any pictures?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:03 AM
Almost a Member!

1991 300E
i'll take pictures after i wash my car again. couple days ago i washed my car, claybar'd, waxed, and detailed the windows. then the next day gardeners came by and got grass and dust all over my car....

i need to get that california duster or something.. im sure some of you guys get my standpoint, but sometimes i cant stand there being dust on my car.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 C230K and 2002 ML320
1. Headlight wiper/washer system only works when you use your windshield washers, and your lights are on.

2. Tail lights... the ones from a 94-95 W124 fit perfectly and they look damn good... they are smoked at the top for the turns and backup lights... and red on the bottom.

3. For the car running hot, yeah not normal... replace the thermostat and radiator cap.